I’ve been in Houston for only a month with the new National Women’s Soccer League team, the Dash, but it didn’t take me long to figure out that the food here is amazing!
I count myself lucky that I can eat literally anything before a game (maybe because I’m a goalkeeper?), but I try to keep it as healthy as possible and gluten free. I do have one cheat day a week, however. Sometimes two. Nutrition is definitely important with training, but from a mental standpoint I think it’s also important to cut yourself some slack once in a while! Here are my most recent food obsessions:
1. Starbucks’ salted caramel cake pops. They also have a birthday cake pop. It’s a little embarrassing to be ordering those as a 31-year-old, but I’m officially addicted. (On my cheat day, of course.)
2. Pueblos’ rancheros. When in Texas, right? I’d have this delicious combo of tacos, eggs, avocado and salsa three times a day if I could.
3. Frozen grapes. This is my favorite tip for people who like desserts but are trying to keep it healthy. Frozen grapes are a great trick dessert. I’ll eat dinner and then instead of grabbing ice cream I love frozen grapes.
4. San Pellegrino. I always have a water in one hand and a San Pellegrino in the other. Once in a while I throw in a latte.
5. Corn dogs. I love me a good corn dog, and I just bought some for my next cheat day. I’ve got big plans!