espnW: Kayla McBride
The ACC tournament gets underway today in Greensboro, N.C., and top-seeded Notre Dame looks to win the title in its first year as a member. The Irish won the regular-season title with a 16-0 conference record and earned a double-bye. They open with a quarterfinal game on Friday. In anticipation of their ACC tournament debut, here are five key facts about their season:
1. Notre Dame completed its first undefeated regular season (29-0) in the program's 37-year history after winning its final game on Sunday against No. 13 North Carolina State.
2. The Irish have gone undefeated in conference play the last two seasons, with a 16-0 mark during their final season in the Big East in 2012-13.
3. Notre Dame is the eighth team in ACC women's basketball history (1977-78 to present) to have a perfect record in conference play and is the first team since North Carolina did it in 2007-08.
4. Notre Dame was 9-0 against ranked opponents this season, with an average margin of victory of 17.3 points.
5. Notre Dame's senior class (Natalie Achonwa, Ariel Braker and Kayla McBride) has tied the program record for most wins by a senior class, improving to 130-14 during their four-year careers. Their win total is currently tied with the 2013 class (Skylar Diggins and Kaila Turner), which went 130-20.