ESPNHS takes a look back at the top storylines from last week, which included a No. 1 vs. No. 2 spring match-up and a seven-goal outburst in a section final.
5. Weekend Stunners: Alief Elsik (Houston) and Dobie (Pasadena, Texas) went into the weekend ranked 2-3 in the state and sporting undefeated records. However, in a 15-hour window, both programs sustained their first losses of the season. Elsik, which started the year as a scoring machine -- even averaging nearly five goals a match for a while -- was slowed in a 4-2 loss to Aldine (Houston) on Friday night. The following afternoon, Dobie was dealt a 2-0 setback by Deer Park (Texas), ending its school-best 18-match season-opening undefeated run. Since it’s the first loss for each program, Elsik and Dobie will not fall far in the POWERADE FAB 50 rankings.
4. Twice Is Nice: Jack Wolf scored both goals as Berkner (Richardson, Texas) defeated Jesuit College Prep (Dallas) 2-0 last Tuesday in a battle of District 9-5A frontrunners. Jesuit fell to 14-2 with both losses this season to Berkner. The Richardson school, meanwhile, improved to 14-1, and coupled with losses by last week’s ESPNHS Texas Nos. 2 and 3 programs, stands to move up in this week’s rankings. Berkner now is in control of the district race with four matches remaining.
3. Amazing Feat: Paramount (Calif.) became only the third school in Southern Section history to run off three straight section titles after edging Channel Islands (Oxnard, Calif.) 2-1 in the Division 3 final Saturday. Frankie Perez and Jesus Alvarez scored the team’s goals. Santa Barbara (Calif.), from 1975-77, and Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) from 1997-2000 and 2006-08, are the other schools to pull off the feat.
2. Battle For No. 1: Since the spring high school season is just getting started, it’s not receiving as much attention as the winter season, which is deep into playoff mode at this point. However, on Saturday, Lassiter (Marietta, Ga.) and Centennial (Roswell, Ga.) met in a POWERADE FAB 50 No. 1 vs. No. 2 match-up. Top-ranked Lassiter came away with a 1-0 victory when Shaban Abousaud scored on a header from Robbie Cutchin with about 12 minutes left in the game.
1. Forty Perfect Minutes: Millikan (Long Beach, Calif.) scored a staggering five goals in the first half en route to a 7-2 victory over previously undefeated Ventura (Calif.) in the Southern Section Division 1 final. In doing so, Millikan set a record for most goals scored in a Southern Section final -- boys or girls -- and made head coach Rod Petkovic the third coach in Southern Section history to win section titles in three different decades.