Cal-Hi Sports Top 25 Weekend Scoreboard
November, 19, 2011
Check here to see which teams may be going up, which ones going down in next week’s state rankings, the 12th of the 2011 regular season. We’ll have all of the usual rankings packages next week, despite the Thanksgiving holiday.
The highest-ranked team in the state to lose in a playoff game on Friday night was No. 22 Grant of Sacramento as the Pacers couldn’t come through on the road and fell 26-21 to Bethel of Vallejo in the second-round of the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Division I playoffs. The loss also marks the end of the prep career of Grant standout Shaq Thompson, who never seemed to get untracked this season but without question should go on to become a big-time safety at the college level. The win also makes No. 14 Buhach Colony look stronger since Bethel’s only loss came in its first game to the Thunder.
The team right behind Grant in the state rankings, Alemany of Mission Hills, also lost, but it was in a game many in Southern California viewed as a tossup with the Warriors falling 33-28 to St. John Bosco of Bellflower. Alemany’s loss was the capper to a horrible night for the Serra League. Also losing from the Serra League on Friday were Loyola of Los Angeles (in an upset to Huntington Beach) and Bishop Amat of La Puente (which did not get upset but get romped by a big score against Santa Margarita).
Folsom QB moves into top five on all-time list: Senior Tanner Trosin completed 18 of 24 passes for 302 yards and three touchdowns (unofficially) to lead Folsom past Inderkum of Sacramento 48-14 in the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Division II playoffs. Trosin also pushed his season totals to approximately 4,395 and moves him past Chris Czernek of Newbury Park (4,362 in 1995) into fifth-place on the all-time state list. He will go past No. 4 Casey Nielsen from Gahr of Cerritos (4,406 yards in 2009) and No. 3 Ricky Lloyd of Concord (4,451 last year) in next week’s monster matchup against unbeaten Elk Grove. For Trosin to go higher and shoot for the totals of 4,838 by Kyle Boller of Newhall Hart (1998) and the record of 4,907 by David Koral of Palisades will probably require the Bulldogs to beat Elk Grove. Note: All state record totals and state record lists from our own exclusive ESPNHS Cal-Hi Sports state record book.
Here are this weekend’s top 25 scores (through Saturday night but that only involved two bubble teams):
1. De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) 9-1
Did not play due to first-round NCS bye.
2. Servite (Anaheim, Calif.) 10-1
Defeated Wilson (Long Beach) 41-3.
3. Westlake (Westlake Village, Calif.) 11-0
Defeated Eastside (Lancaster) 59-12.
4. Bellarmine (San Jose, Calif.) 10-1
Defeated Terra Nova (Pacifica) 56-12.
5. Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, Calif.) 11-0*
Defeated Damien (La Verne) 38-13.
6. Centennial (Corona, Calif.) 10-1
Defeated Redlands 49-35.
7. Redlands East Valley (Redlands, Calif.) 11-0
Defeated Norco 20-15.
8. Mission Viejo (Mission Viejo, Calif.) 9-2
Defeated Cabrillo (Long Beach) 51-22.
9. Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.) 10-1
Defeated Newport Harbor (Newport Beach) 49-14.
10. Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, Calif.) 9-2
Defeated Mira Costa (Manhattan Beach) 43-10.
11. Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove, Calif.) 11-1
Defeated Pitman (Turlock) 45-0.
12. Del Oro (Loomis, Calif.) 11-1
Defeated Placer (Auburn) 41-12.
13. Helix (La Mesa, Calif.) 9-1
Did not play due to first-round bye in San Diego Section playoffs.
14. Buhach Colony (Atwater, Calif.) 12-0
Defeated Del Campo (Fair Oaks) 28-7.
15. Upland (Upland, Calif.) 11-0
Defeated Murrieta Valley (Murrieta) 59-21.
16. Lincoln (Stockton, Calif.) 11-1
Defeated Franklin (Elk Grove) 56-27.
17. Elk Grove (Elk Grove, Calif.) 12-0
Defeated Beyer (Modesto) 55-6.
18. St. Bonaventure (Ventura, Calif.) 9-2
Defeated Redondo Union (Redondo Beach) 19-10.
19. Dorsey (Los Angeles, Calif.) 10-1
Defeated Fairfax (Los Angeles) 35-13.
20. Santa Margarita (Rancho SM, Calif.) 9-2
Defeated Bishop Amat (La Puente) 45-21.
21. Bakersfield (Bakersfield, Calif.) 10-0
Does not play.
22. Grant (Sacramento, Calif.) 8-4
LOSS to Bethel (Vallejo) 26-21.
23. J.W. North (Riverside, Calif.) 10-1
Defeated Yucaipa 27-13.
24. Alemany (Mission Hills, Calif.) 8-3
LOSS to St. John Bosco (Bellflower) 33-28.
25. San Pedro (San Pedro, Calif.) 11-0
Defeated Gardena 49-7.
Teams On The Bubble (alphabetical):
Arroyo Grande 10-1
Bethel (Vallejo) 11-1
Cardinal Newman (Santa Rosa) 10-0-1
Cathedral Catholic (San Diego) 9-1
Edison (Fresno) 9-1
Marin Catholic (Kentfield) 11-0
Narbonne (Harbor City) 8-3
Rancho Cucamonga 10-1
Rancho Verde (Moreno Valley) 11-0
San Clemente 10-1
St. John Bosco (Bellflower) 8-3
Bubble Teams That Lost: Bishop Amat (La Puente), Loyola (Los Angeles), St. Mary’s (Stockton)
Corrections or comments? Email Mark.Tennis@espn.com.