Cal-Hi Sports Top 25 Weekend Scoreboard
September, 11, 2011
By Cal-Hi Sports staff | ESPN.com
Check here to see which teams may be going up, which ones going down in next week’s state rankings, the second of the 2011 regular season
It was a wild Friday night in much of Northern California as lighting storms caused several games to be stopped, others to be rescheduled for Saturday.
At least the lighting didn’t cause power to go out for more than a million people. Thursday night events in San Diego were impacted by that power outage, but Friday night’s football games seemed to go off without a hitch.
The game of the night was at Centennial of Corona where the host Huskies met St. Bonaventure in a matchup between two of the state’s top 10 teams. The Seraphs proved they not only belonged to be that high, but possibly in the top five next week by pulling out a 29-27 triumph.
According to reports from Eric-Paul Johnson of the Riverside Press-Enterprise, St. Bonaventure pulled ahead in the second half after trailing 20-14 at halftime on a 1-yard touchdown run by Shaun Wick and on a touchdown pass by Marc Evans. The Huskies scored with less than three minutes left to cut the lead to 29-27, but that was it.
Saturday: No. 2 Mission Viejo had an unsuccessful trip -- on the football field at least -- back to New Jersey and New York as the Diablos suffered a 35-7 loss to Don Bosco Prep of New Jersey. Although Mission Viejo outgained the Ironmen in the first half, the deficit was 14-0 with the aid of two turnovers. Don Bosco Prep was more dominant in the third quarter and stretched the lead to 28-0 before the Diablos scored. Servite will of course rise to No. 2 in the next state rankings. Mission Viejo will drop to third or fourth, likely staying in front of No. 5 Long Beach Poly due to a lopsided win over the Jackrabbits last season plus the fact that those teams will play in two weeks.
The complete Top 25 state weekend scoreboard through reported results of Saturday night follows:
1. De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) 1-0
Did not play. Next game Sept. 16 at St. Mary’s of Stockton.
2. Mission Viejo (Mission Viejo, Calif.) 1-1
Lost to FAB 50 national No. 1 Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) 35-7
3. Servite (Anaheim, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated No. 16 Bishop Amat of La Puente 49-14.
4. Centennial (Corona, Calif.) 0-1
Lost to No. 6 St. Bonaventure of Ventura 29-27.
5. Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated No. 24 Carson 38-18.
6. St. Bonaventure (Ventura, Calif.) 1-0
Defeated No. 4 Centennial of Corona 29-27.
7. Alemany (Mission Hills, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated Eastside of Lancaster 46-8.
8. Grant (Sacramento, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated Burbank of Sacramento 40-8.
9. Santa Margarita (Rancho SM, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated Tesoro of Las Flores 39-7.
10. Bellarmine (San Jose, Calif.) 0-1
Did not play. Next game Sept. 16 against San Leandro.
11. Crespi (Encino, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated Jordan of Los Angeles 64-0.
12. Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, Calif.) 1-0
Did not play. Next game Sept. 16 vs. Agoura of Agoura Hills.
13. Lincoln (Stockton, Calif.) 3-0
Defeated Berkeley 31-7.
14. Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove, Calif.) 2-1
Defeated Fairfield 63-8.
15. Buhach Colony (Atwater, Calif.) 3-0
Defeated Christian Brothers of Sacramento 63-6.
16. Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.) 1-1
Lost to No. 3 Servite of Anaheim 49-14
17. California (San Ramon, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated College Park of Pleasant Hill 45-3.
18. Granite Bay (Granite Bay, Calif.) 3-0
Defeated Clovis East of Clovis 42-3.
19. Palo Alto (Palo Alto, Calif.) 1-0
Did not play. Next game Sept. 16 against Archbishop Mitty of San Jose.
20. Westlake (Westlake Village, Calif.) 1-0
Did not play. Next game Sept. 16 against Agoura of Agoura Hills.
21. Eastlake (Chula Vista, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated Scripps Ranch of San Diego 35-0.
22. Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, Calif.) 1-0
Defeated Etiwanda 31-28
23. Lutheran (Orange, Calif.) 2-0
Defeated Los Osos of Rancho Cucamonga 42-6.
24. Carson 1-0
Lost to No. 5 Long Beach Poly 38-18.
25. Oceanside 0-1
Defeated Chaparral of Temecula 31-19.
Teams on the Bubble (Alphabetical)
Central (Fresno) 1-0
Del Oro (Loomis) 2-1
Helix (La Mesa) 1-1
Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 0-1
Nevada Union (Grass Valley) 3-0
Oak Grove (San Jose) 2-0
Palma (Salinas) 1-0
San Clemente 2-0
St. John Bosco (Bellflower) 2-0
St. Mary’s (Stockton) 1-1
Valley Christian (San Jose) 1-0