As the CIF playoffs reach the regional quarterfinal stage this weekend, we choose teams that are most likely headed to state in each division. Only new No. 1 team this week is La Jolla Country Day in Division IV.
Thanks to an upset by Serra of Gardena over Windward of Los Angeles, the new No. 1 in this week’s CIF Division IV state girls basketball rankings by Cal-Hi Sports is La Jolla Country Day.
The Torreys of coach Teri Bamford have even more on their minds, of course, than a CIF state crown as there’s a chance they could be State Team of the Year for the first time.
The first step toward that will be the CIF regional playoffs over the next two weeks. La Jolla Country Day could not get past Windward in last year’s regional final and could play the Wildcats again in this year’s final. The good news about that is that just to get into that game Windward is probably going to have to play Serra again and win this time on the road.
All of the other four No. 1 teams according to CIF divisions from last week remain the same: Mater Dei of Santa Ana (D1), St. Mary’s of Stockton (D2), Bishop O’Dowd of Oakland (D3) and Mission Prep of San Luis Obispo (D5).
With help from Stockton office assistant editor Paul Muyskens, here is the sixth listing of girls teams this season with analysis and bubble teams for each division (records listed after regional playoff games played on Wednesday, March 7 but rankings do not include any results from later in the week; previous ranking in parentheses):
CIF Division I
1. (1) Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 31-3
2. (2) Brea Olinda (Brea) 24-6
3. (3) Long Beach Poly (Long Beach) 29-3
4. (4) Santiago (Corona) 31-1
5. (5) Summit (Fontana) 25-3
6. (6) Berkeley 24-2
7. (7) Huntington Beach 25-5
8. (8) Edison (Huntington Beach) 23-4
9. (9) Etiwanda 23-4
10. (11) El Toro (Lake Forest) 27-3
11. (12) Troy (Fullerton) 19-8
12. (15) Hanford 25-4
13. (10) Narbonne (Harbor City) 27-7
14. (NR) Kennedy (Sacramento) 24-8
15. (14) Deer Valley (Antioch) 22-8
Drops: Previous No. 13 San Diego.
Bubble: Canyon Springs (Moreno Valley) 20-8, Granite Hills (El Cajon) 30-5*, Gunn (Palo Alto) 20-6, Heritage (Brentwood) 23-5, Lowell (San Francisco) 25-4, Oak Ridge (El Dorado Hills) 24-8, Rialto 25-2, Stockdale (Bakersfield) 26-5, Wilcox (Santa Clara) 21-2.
Favored To Go To State: Mater Dei (South) vs. Berkeley (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Mater Dei vs. Huntington Beach; Summit vs. Santiago; Long Beach Poly vs. Hanford; El Toro vs. Brea Olinda.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Berkeley vs. Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove); Heritage vs. Oak Ridge; Kennedy (Sac) vs. Deer Valley; Gunn vs. Lowell.
CIF Division II
1. (1) St. Mary’s (Stockton) 28-3
2. (2) Lynwood 25-4
3. (3) Carondelet (Concord) 26-3
4. (4) Archbishop Mitty (San Jose) 24-5
5. (6) J.W. North (Riverside) 27-5
6. (5) St. Ignatius (San Francisco) 25-5
7. (8) Mark Keppel (Alhambra) 28-4
8. (7) Casa Grande (Petaluma) 31-2
9. (10) Foothill (Tustin) 26-5
10. (NR) Ventura 26-4
Drops: Previous No. 9 Dougherty Valley (San Ramon).
Bubble: Canyon (Anaheim) 21-8, Dougherty Valley (San Ramon) 20-9, La Costa Canyon (Carlsbad) 24-5, McNair (Stockton) 28-4, Monache (Porterville) 23-2, Pleasant Valley (Chico) 26-3, Serra (San Diego) 26-7, St. Francis (Mountain View) 18-10, Ventura 25-4.
Favored To Go To State: Lynwood (South) vs. St. Mary’s of Stockton (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Lynwood vs. San Diego Serra; Foothill of Tustin vs. Ventura; Keppel vs. Palisades (Pacific Palisades); Monache vs. J.W. North.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: St. Mary’s of Stockton vs. Dougherty Valley; Casa Grande vs. St. Ignatius; Archbishop Mitty vs. Pleasant Valley (Chico); McNair vs. Carondelet.
CIF Division III
1. (1) Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) 26-3
2. (2) Mission Bay (San Diego) 24-6
3. (5) Sacramento 26-6
4. (8) Laguna Hills 23-8
5. (3) Alemany (Mission Hills) 30-3
6. (4) Miramonte (Orinda) 29-1
7. (9) Arroyo Grande 26-5
8. (NR) Independence (Bakersfield) 27-5
9. (NR) Bishop Amat (La Puente) 22-11
10. (10) Rio Mesa (Oxnard) 25-7
Drops: Previous No. 6 Terra Nova (Pacifica); No. 7 Modesto Christian.
Bubble: Bonita (La Verne) 27-5, Modesto Christian 26-6, Mt. Miguel (Spring Valley) 26-7, Ridgeview (Bakersfield) 24-8, Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco) 15-14, San Marin (Novato) 25-6, Santa Cruz 24-4, Terra Nova (Pacifica) 23-6, West (Torrance) 26-6, Yorba Linda 24-6.
Favored To Go To State: Mission Bay of San Diego (South) vs. Bishop O’Dowd (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Mission Bay vs. Oak Park (Agoura Hills); Bishop Amat (La Puente) vs. Arroyo Grande; Alemany vs. Independence (Bakersfield); West (Torrance) vs. Laguna Hills.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Bishop O’Dowd vs. Christian Brothers (Sacramento); Modesto Christian vs. Terra Nova; Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. Miramonte; San Marin vs. Sacramento.
CIF Division IV
1. (2) La Jolla Country Day (La Jolla) 28-1
2. (1) Windward (Los Angeles) 28-4
3. (3) Serra (Gardena) 28-3
4. (6) Salesian (Richmond) 28-4
5. (4) St. Mary’s (Berkeley) 25-7*
6. (5) Bellarmine-Jefferson (Burbank) 24-8
7. (7) Oaks Christian (Westlake Village) 22-5
8. (8) St. Bernard (Playa del Rey) 25-8
9. (9) Mater Dei (Chula Vista) 21-5
9. (10) Chaminade (West Hills) 24-5
10. (NR) Soquel 25-4
Drops: Previous No. 9 Mater Dei (Chula Vista)
Bubble: Bishop’s (La Jolla) 20-9, Calaveras (San Andreas) 28-3, Campbell Hall (North Hollywood) 22-6, JSerra (San Juan Capistrano) 22-7, Marin Catholic (Kentfield) 23-8, Mercy (San Francisco) 26-6, St. Patrick/St. Vincent (Vallejo) 22-7, Soquel 24-4.
Favored To Go To State: La Jolla Country Day (South) vs. Salesian of Richmond (North). Just based on the seeds. Pretty good odds that at least one of those two teams isn’t going to get through the regional round.
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: La Jolla Country Day vs. Campbell Hall; Bellarmine-Jefferson vs. St. Bernard of Playa del Rey; Windward vs. Bishop’s; Brentwood vs. Serra of Gardena.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Salesian of Richmond vs. West Campus (Sacramento); McKinleyville vs. Soquel; Calaveras vs. Marin Catholic; Bear River (Lake of the Pines) vs. St. Mary’s of Berkeley.
CIF Division V
1. (1) Mission Prep (San Luis Obispo) 29-1
2. (2) Brookside Christian (Stockton) 26-4
3. (8) Eastside Prep (Palo Alto) 15-13
4. (4) St. Joseph Notre Dame (Alameda) 21-10
5. (5) Hamilton (Hamilton City) 30-0
6. (3) Pinewood (Los Altos Hills) 19-12
7. (10) Turlock Christian 27-4
8. (9) Rolling Hills Prep (San Pedro) 19-4
9. (NR) International (San Francisco) 22-10
10. (NR) Villanova Prep (Ojai) 25-7
Drops: Previous No. 6 Ripon Christian; No. 7 University (San Francisco).
Bubble: Central Valley Christian (Visalia) 19-9, Dantzler Charter (Los Angeles) 22-11, Pacific Collegiate (Santa Cruz) 22-5, Portola 25-6, Ripon Christian 23-5; San Domenico (San Anselmo) 24-7, Sonoma Academy (Santa Rosa) 26-3, St. Francis CCC (Watsonville) 18-10, St. Vincent (Petaluma) 24-6; University (San Francisco) 26-6.
Favored To Go To State: Mission Prep (South) vs. Brookside Christian (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Mission Prep vs. Avalon; Providence of Burbank vs. Orangewood Academy of Garden Grove; Rolling Hills Prep vs. Central Valley Christian of Visalia; Dantzler Charter of Los Angeles vs. Villanova Prep.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Brookside Christian vs. International of SF; Pinewood vs. Hamilton of Hamilton City; St. Joseph Notre Dame vs. Turlock Christian; Ripon Christian vs. Eastside Prep.
Comments or corrections? Email Mark.Tennis@espn.com.