Mater Dei’s chances for a repeat in Division I take a hit with Kaitin Reinhardt being lost with a thumb injury. Monarchs are still No. 1 in their division along with Archbishop Mitty (D2), Alemany (D3), Salesian of Richmond (D4) and St. Joseph Notre Dame (D5).
As the CIF state playoffs move into the regional quarterfinal round on Saturday night, the big news wasn’t an upset or any score for that matter from Thursday’s second-round.
During Santa Ana Mater Dei’s 66-47 win over Crescenta Valley of La Crescenta, standout 6-foot-4 guard Kaitin Reinhardt didn’t score and according to at least two game reports was battling “health issues.”
It was revealed on Thursday that Reinhardt’s issue is a thumb injury. It was placed in a cast and it has been reported that he’ll have to miss the rest of the season.
Reinhardt, who has signed with UNLV, has been arguably Mater Dei’s best player this season. He was averaging 18.2 points per game, including 35 against Christ The King of New York and 34 against Capistrano Valley of Mission Viejo.
The Monarchs can still win the CIF Division I state title without Reinhardt, but they’re not an especially deep team so any contest in which fouls are being called and coach Gary McKnight has to go deeper into the bench is where the loss of a player like Reinhardt would be felt the most.
With help from Stockton office assistant editor Paul Muyskens, here is the sixth listing of boys teams this season for each division
(records listed after regional playoff games played on Wednesday, March 7; previous ranking in parentheses):
CIF Division I
1. (1) Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 30-2
2. (2) Long Beach Poly (Long Beach) 28-2
3. (4) De La Salle (Concord) 27-2
4. (3) Etiwanda 30-2
5. (5) Taft (Woodland Hills) 29-3
6. (6) Loyola (Los Angeles) 25-5
7. (7) Sheldon (Sacramento) 26-5
8. (9) Bullard (Fresno) 30-3
9. (11) Lutheran (Orange) 22-11
10. (9) Jesuit (Carmichael) 25-6
11. (10) Mission Viejo 28-3
12. (NR) Capistrano Valley (Mission Viejo) 25-5
13. (NR) McClymonds (Oakland) 15-10
14. (12) Dorsey (Los Angeles) 27-8
15. (15) Crenshaw (Los Angeles) 24-6
Drops: Previous No. 13 Westchester (Los Angeles); No. 14 Clovis West (Fresno).
Bubble: Bellarmine (San Jose) 18-12, Clovis West (Fresno) 21-7, Crescenta Valley (La Crescenta) 26-7, Deer Valley (Antioch) 28-8; Fairfax (Los Angeles) 20-10, Foothill (Tustin) 24-6, Piedmont Hills (San Jose) 28-3, Santa Monica 21-9, Upland 20-10, Westchester (Los Angeles) 22-8.
Favored To Go To State: Mater Dei (South) vs. De La Salle (North). Mater Dei’s chances, though, took a huge hit with the loss of Reinhardt to injury. The one player that may need to really step up is junior Elijah Brown, son of Lakers’ coach Mike Brown.
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Mater Dei vs. Mission Viejo; Etiwanda vs. Loyola; Taft of Woodland Hills vs. Bullard; Orange Lutheran vs. Long Beach Poly.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: De La Salle vs. Pleasant Grove; Castro Valley vs. Jesuit; McClymonds vs. Deer Valley (Antioch); Piedmont Hills vs. Sheldon.
CIF Division II
1. (1) Archbishop Mitty (San Jose) 27-3
2. (2) Newark Memorial (Newark) 26-4
3. (3) Mayfair (Lakewood) 26-5
4. (4) La Costa Canyon (Carlsbad) 31-2
5. (6) Antelope 30-1
6. (5) Lincoln (San Diego) 21-9
7. (7) Serra (San Mateo) 23-6
8. (10) San Joaquin Memorial (Fresno) 23-8
9. (NR) Elsinore (Lake Elsinore) 28-4
10. (NR) El Camino Real (Woodland Hills) 23-7
Drops: Previous No. 8 Righetti (Santa Maria) 25-6; No. 9 Hoover (San Diego).
Bubble: Colony (Ontario) 22-10, Compton 20-10, Chico 26-3, Hoover (San Diego) 28-5, Inglewood 22-10, Las Lomas (Walnut Creek) 20-10, Lodi 23-8, Monte Vista (Spring Valley) 22-7, Murrieta Valley (Murrieta) 25-3, Ocean View (Huntington Beach) 24-4, Righetti (Santa Maria) 25-6, Royal (Simi Valley) 24-8.
Favored To Go To State: Mayfair or La Costa Canyon (South) vs. Archbishop Mitty of San Jose (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: La Costa Canyon vs. El Camino Real; Inglewood vs. Elsinore; San Diego Lincoln vs. Tulare; Mayfair vs. San Joaquin Memorial.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Archbishop Mitty vs. Windsor; Chico vs. Antelope; Serra of San Mateo vs. Las Lomas; Newark Memorial vs. Bella Vista.
CIF Division III
1. (1) Alemany (Mission Hills) 29-4
2. (2) Sacred Heart Cathedral (SF) 25-5
3. (3) Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) 24-5
4. (4) Foothill (Sacramento) 28-3
5. (5) Calabasas 28-3
6. (6) Cathedral Catholic (San Diego) 29-3
7. (7) Oak Park (Agoura Hills) 25-8
8. (8) St. John Bosco (Bellflower) 23-7
9. (9) Pasadena 24-7*
10. (10) Arroyo Grande 23-9
Bubble: Bell 22-5, Beverly Hills 20-10, Campolindo (Moraga) 21-7, Center (Antelope) 22-8, Damien (La Verne) 26-3, El Cerrito 21-8, Miramonte (Orinda) 20-9, Ridgeview (Bakersfield) 20-9, St. Augustine (San Diego) 23-7, Sierra (Manteca) 27-4.
Favored To Go To State: Alemany (South) vs. Sacred Heart Cathedral or Bishop O’Dowd (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Alemany vs. Arroyo Grande; Oak Park vs. Cathedral Catholic; Calabasas vs. St. John Bosco; Bell vs. Pasadena.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. Miramonte; Center of Antelope vs. Foothill of Palo Cedro; Foothill of Sacramento vs. El Cerrito; Lindhurst vs. Bishop O’Dowd.
CIF Division IV
1. (1) Salesian (Richmond) 30-2
2. (2) Serra (Gardena) 29-2
3. (3) La Verne Lutheran (La Verne) 24-7
4. (4) Price (Los Angeles) 23-8
5. (5) Crespi (Encino) 24-7
6. (6) Pacific Hills (Los Angeles) 29-4
7. (7) Bishop Montgomery (Torrance) 23-5
8. (9) Central Valley Christian (Visalia) 28-2
9. (8) Windward (Los Angeles) 20-9
10. (NR) La Jolla Country Day (La Jolla) 21-9
Drops: Previous No. 10 Cantwell-Sacred Heart (Montebello).
Bubble: Army-Navy (Carlsbad) 22-7, Cardinal Newman (Santa Rosa) 27-5, Half Moon Bay 24-6, Modesto Christian 26-5, Oaks Christian (Westlake Village) 20-6, Sacred Heart Prep (Atherton) 21-6, St. Patrick-St. Vincent (Vallejo) 20-11.
Favored To Go To State: Serra of Gardena (South) vs. Salesian of Richmond (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Serra of Gardena vs. Francis Parker of San Diego; Pacific Hills vs. Crespi; Price vs. La Jolla Country Day; Central Valley Christian vs. La Verne Lutheran. Note: Best individual matchup in the state on Saturday will be CVC’s big man, the Stanford-bound Grant Verhoeven, against La Verne Lutheran’s McDonald’s All-American, Grant Jerrett.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: Richmond Salesian vs. Half Moon Bay; Ripon vs. Arcata; Sacred Heart Prep vs. St. Patrick-St. Vincent; Cardinal Newman vs. Modesto Christian.
CIF Division V
1. (1) St. Joseph Notre Dame (Alameda) 26-5
2. (2) St. Bernard (Playa del Rey) 23-7
3. (3) Ribet Academy (Los Angeles) 20-10
4. (4) Renaissance Academy (La Canada) 25-6
5. (5) Pinewood (Los Altos Hills) 25-2
6. (7) Village Christian (Sun Valley) 28-3
7. (NR) Fresno Christian 25-2
8. (9) Mission Prep (San Luis Obispo) 24-6
9. (10) Capital Christian (Sacramento) 25-5
10. (8) Branson (Ross) 25-8
Drops: Previous No. 6 Providence (Burbank).
Bubble: California Lutheran (Wildomar) 21-4, Central Catholic (Modesto) 25-6, Holy Martyrs (Encino) 19-12, Liberty Christian (Redding) 25-2, Providence (Burbank) 26-6, Ripon Christian 23-7, Sacramento Waldorf (Fair Oaks) 26-4, University (San Francisco) 21-10.
Favored To Go To State: St. Bernard of Playa del Rey (South) vs. St. Joseph Notre Dame (North).
SoCal Saturday Quarterfinals: St. Bernard vs. Fresno Christian; Village Christian vs. Mission Prep; Renaissance Academy vs. Rock Academy of San Diego; California Lutheran of Wildomar vs. Ribet.
NorCal Saturday Quarterfinals: St. Joseph Notre Dame vs. St. Francis CCS of Watsonville; Central Catholic vs. Sacramento Waldorf; Capital Christian vs. Branson; University of SF vs. Pinewood.