Sunday, December 11, 2011
CIF D4 South Bowl Bid
Here are the top 10 rankings for this division in Southern California by Cal-Hi Sports after all section championships are complete (previous ranking in parentheses; teams with asterisk are ineligible for bowl game):
1. (1) Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth) 14-0
2. (3) Christian (El Cajon) 10-3
3. (2) Santa Fe Christian (Solana Beach) 11-2*
4. (4) Rio Hondo Prep (Arcadia) 13-1
5. (6) Bishop Diego (Santa Barbara) 11-2*
6. (7) St. Margaret’s (SJ Capistrano) 9-3*
7. (8) Boron 10-3*
8. (5) Desert Christian (Lancaster) 11-2
9. (9) Aquinas (San Bernardino) 9-3*
10. (10) Mojave 10-2*
Other section champ also eligible: View Park (Los Angeles) 8-4.
Case for Sierra Canyon:
1. As the only 14-0 team on the board and a legit one at that, the Trailblazers have to be a pretty easy choice for this division. The CIF will definitely not have to look up and grab a bigger school above the 500-student enrollment cutoff this year.
2. Sierra Canyon posted two of its wins against Paraclete of Lancaster, a school that defeated the Trailblazers in last year’s CIFSS East Valley Division championship. In this year’s final on Saturday, Sierra Canyon cruised to an even more impressive 40-7 triumph than the 36-26 triumph from the regular season.
*Christian of El Cajon made it easier in this division with a last-second 32-29 win over previous No. 2 Santa Fe Christian. The Patriots avenged an earlier loss and are led by Elite 11 quarterback Shane Dillon, who passed for 315 yards and two scores in the game. The team’s three losses, though, would not be able to be overcome compared to Sierra Canyon at 14-0.
*Rio Hondo Prep of Arcadia won the CIFSS Northeast Division crown with a 34-13 triumph against Desert Christian. Coach Ken Drain’s team doesn’t have much of a shot at this bowl bid because its only loss is to Francis Parker of San Diego, a team that Christian defeated 42-23.