High-SchoolCalifornia: De La Salle vs. Westlake
Here are the top 10 rankings for the Northern California and Southern California open divisions after all section championships are complete (previous ranking in parentheses; teams with asterisk are ineligible for bowl game):
1. (1) De La Salle (Concord) 12-1
2. (2) Bellarmine (San Jose) 12-1
3. (3) Del Oro (Loomis) 13-1
4. (NR) Campolindo (Moraga) 14-0
5. (4) Marin Catholic (Kentfield) 13-1*
6. (5) Vacaville 13-1
7. (6) Granite Bay 12-2
8. (7) St. Mary’s (Stockton) 9-3*
9. (8) Lincoln (Stockton) 11-2*
10. (9) Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove) 12-2*
Note: Folsom was No. 10 last week, but would have to drop one spot in the rankings to make room for Campolindo. One of the reasons the Cougars go up so high is that Marin Catholic still has to be ahead of Vacaville due to head-to-head win.
1. (1) Westlake (Westlake Village) 14-0
2. (3) Vista Murrieta (Murrieta) 14-0 (9-5 incl. forfeits)
3. (5) Santa Margarita (Rancho SM) 12-2
4. (8) Bakersfield 13-0
5. (7) Helix (La Mesa) 13-1
6. (4) Oaks Christian (Westlake Village) 11-3
7. (2) Centennial (Corona) 12-2*
8. (9) Upland 12-1*
9. (10) Mission Viejo 10-3*
10. (6) San Clemente 12-2*
Case for De La Salle (Open Division)
1. The Spartans beat eventual CCS Open Division champ Bellarmine of San Jose in their first game and that ended up being Bellarmine’s only loss.
2. The only other team with a remote chance is Del Oro, which lost its only game by three points in overtime to Westlake of Westlake Village.
3. De La Salle has still not lost to a team from the CIF’s NorCal region (remember we still count Central Section in the north for our record book) since 1991. The Spartans have never lost to a Sac-Joaquin Section school.
Case for Westlake (Open Division)
1. St. Bonaventure of Ventura, which the Warriors beat in a Marmonte League game, owns a win over Corona Centennial, one of the top teams in the CIFSS Inland Division.
2. As a possible opponent for De La Salle, Westlake is intriguing because the Spartans have never played Westlake and for that matter have never played any of the other Ventura area teams like Oaks Christian and St. Bonaventure.
3. Vista Murrieta, 14-0 on-the-field or 9-5 counting forfeits, is the only other team at 14-0 that played a schedule as strong as Westlake’s. Westlake doesn’t have any similar forfeit problems.
For corrections or comments on any of our bowl game rankings for this week, email Mark.Tennis@espn.com.