FORT WORTH, Texas -- When POWERADE FAB 50 No. 4 Ursuline (Dallas, Texas) and No. 18 American Heritage-Delray (Delray Beach, Fla.) met Thursday in the opening match at the National Elite Prep Showcase, something had to give between a pair of teams that were a combined 27-0.
It ended up being American Heritage-Delray’s defense.
Boston College commit Jana Jeffrey had a goal and one assist and Candace Johnson delivered a strong performance to lead Ursuline (11-0) to a 3-0 victory, handing American Heritage-Delray its first loss in 18 matches.
“This was a bit of an eye-opener for us,” Delray coach Steve Burgess confessed. “We’ve had a good run in Florida for the last eight years or so, and now we’re getting to see what it’s all about at this level.”
For Ursuline, the result starts to make amends for last year’s showing at this event, where the then highly regarding private school program hobbled to a 1-3 showing and fell from the national rankings.
“Last year, we didn’t do well here,” said Johnson, whose centering passing early in the match led to a goal by Kellie Schnurr, before Johnson scored a goal of her own. “We wanted to make a statement this year with a decisive win.”
"No question, they are a very good team," Burgess said of Ursuline. "Our mistakes gave them their first two goals. We can't make those kind of mistakes against a team like that. They certainly created more opportunities than us, but if we don't make those mistakes it's still 0-0 with 20 minutes left and who knows."
POWERADE FAB 50 RESULTS
• No. 1 Boyd (Texas) 3, Martin (Texas) 0; No. 2 Coppell (Texas) 2, Clear Lake (Texas) 1; No. 3 Colleyville Heritage (Texas) 1, Georgetown (Texas) 1; No. 4 Ursuline (Texas) 3, No. 18 American Heritage-Delray (Fla.) 0; No. 8 Southlake Carroll (Texas) 1, No. 25 Westlake (Texas) 0; No. 13 St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) 1, No. 28 Grapevine (Texas) 0; No. 19 Kingwood (Texas) 1, No. 29 Nolan Catholic (Texas) 1; No. 31 Marcus (Texas) 3, Murrieta Valley (Calif.) 0.
PLAYERS OF THE DAY
• Jana Jeffrey, Ursuline Academy: The Boston College-bound forward assisted the team’s second goal and scored the third as the Bears humbled American Heritage-Delray 3-0.
• Maggie Fobare, Hockaday School (Dallas, Texas): The junior had five goals and one assist as Hockaday routed Palo Duro (Amarillo, Texas) 13-0.
• Katelyn Mountjoy, Marcus (Flower Mound, Texas): The junior had a goal and one assist in Marcus' 3-0 win over Murrieta Valley (Murrieta, Calif.).
• Tayler Dragoo, Rosary (Santa Ana, Calif.): Dragoo, a UCLA commit, scored the lone goal on a rocket from outside the 18 as Rosary edged Flower Mound (Texas) 1-0.
• Cassandra Etzig and Ashley Cardounel of St. Thomas Aquinas (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) delivered strong performances in the midfield and on defense as the Raiders blanked nationally ranked Grapevine (Texas).
• Mayra Pelayo, American Heritage-Delray: Pelayo is a technically sound player who demonstrated great skill on the ball. Coach Steve Burgess said Pelayo is still getting used to the speed of play since the high school game is filled with players two and three years older. Pelayo plays club soccer for magicJack.