ESPNHS takes a look back at the top storylines from last week that includes playoff titles by Aliso Niguel (Aliso Viejo, Calif.) and Los Osos (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.), which could lead to a national showdown for No. 1 on Saturday.
5. Leaving On Top?: Haley Wingender had an assist and two goals in the first half to lead Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) to a 4-0 victory over Green Valley (Henderson, Nev.) for the final Class 4A Southern Nevada championship. The championship was Gorman’s first since 2001 and could close out the split seasons in Nevada. A majority of schools play in the fall, but most of the state’s large schools in and around Las Vegas play in the winter. Next school year, the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association is planning to hold all high school soccer in the fall.
4. Third Time Is Not A Charm: San Clemente (Calif.), making its fifth straight Southern Section Division 1 final, lost to for the third straight year, this time conceding two goals in the final 15 minutes in a 2-1 loss to league rival Aliso Niguel. The outcome guaranteed Alsio Niguel a spot in the Southern California Regional Division I championships. San Clemente, which was hoping for an at-large bid, did not receive one when fellow large schools Claremont (Calif.) and Downey (Calif.) won section titles and the automatic SCR berths, blocking San Clemente’s bid.
3. Lucky Seven: Claremont’s 2-0 victory over Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.) gave the Wolfpack the Southern Section Division 3 title and marked the team’s seventh straight shutout victory. Junior keeper Amanda Garvin turned away three Bishop Amat scoring chances in the first half to extend the shutout streak.
2. Got Your Number: For the second time this season, La Costa Canyon (Carlsbad, Calif.) defeated Westview (San Diego), this time for the San Diego Section Division II title and a berth in this week’s Southern California Regional tournament. Westview, which entered the week ranked No. 1 in the POWERADE FAB 50, ended 25-2-2 with both losses coming to La Costa Canyon.
1. Closer To No. 1: Aliso Niguel, the Southern Section Division 1 champion, and Los Osos, the Southern Section Division 2 champion, are pitted on opposite sides of the Southern California Regional Division I tournament. If both teams win their first two matches, they will meet Saturday with a section crown and the POWERADE FAB 50 No. 1 ranking on the line.