Monday, April 9, 2012
Soccer Rewind: Last week's top stories
By Sheldon Shealer
ESPNHS takes a look back at the top storylines from last week, which include a 100-goal scorer in Texas and a few new teams making a push for POWERADE FAB 50 national rankings.
5. On The Rise: Schaumburg (Ill.) will earn a spot in this week’s POWERADE FAB 50 following a 1-0 win over previously undefeated Naperville Central (Naperville, Ill.) in the St. Charles East Invitational last week. Senior Teagan Eberle netted the lone goal that kept Schaumburg undefeated.
4. Changing Landscape: In the final season of spring high school girls’ soccer in Pennsylvania, the state has seen three different teams at No. 1 in the first three weeks of the season. Red Land (Lewisberry, Pa.) was cruising along with a 7-0 record that includes wins over preseason No. 1 and defending champion Cumberland Valley and then Week 2 No. 1 Mechanicsburg. However, Red Land lost to Cedar Cliff (Harrisburg, Pa.) 2-1 on Saturday on goals by Devon Disante and Demetra Mallios. That turn of events leaves undefeated Carlisle (Pa.) atop the state rankings with an undefeated record that includes pinning the only defeat on Cedar Cliff. Kirstyn Sokolsky (five goals) and Becky Hoy (four goals) have emerged as the top scorers for Carlisle, which stands at 6-0-1. Following this spring season, the last of the spring-playing programs in Pennsylvania will switch to fall soccer starting in August of 2012.
3. Lucky 18: McKenna Mangold, a junior at Bandera (Texas), scored her 100th career goal during the team’s recent 7-2 win over Memorial (San Antonio, Texas). Mangold, who wears No. 18, is the 18th player in Texas history to chart 100 career goals, according to the Texas Association of Soccer Coaches records.
2. All Tied Up: The parity among Michigan’s top programs is becoming almost comical. POWERADE FAB 50 No. 11 Northville (Mich.) tied Canton (Mich.) and Plymouth (Canton, Mich.), leaving the team’s record at 2-0-2. Canton, which is nationally ranked as well, and last year’s POWERADE FAB 50 Spring No. 1 team Novi, are both 0-0-3 this season.
1. Rematch Pending: It’s early in the spring season in Nebraska, yet two of the state’s powerhouse programs will meet for the second time when top-ranked Millard North (Omaha, Neb.) takes on Marian (Omaha, Neb.) for the Metro Conference tournament title Monday night. Millard North (9-0) pinned the only loss on Marian (8-1) 1-0 on March 31 on a goal by Sarah Woelfel. The teams earned their rematch with conference tournament semifinal victories on Saturday.