Thursday, January 5, 2012
True or False: Special guest Jabari Parker
By By Mike Grimala
Simeon is set to play one of its biggest games of the season on Saturday night, when the Wolverines travel to West Virginia to take on Miller Grove (Ga.) in the Cancer Research Classic. Miller Grove is ranked No. 34 in the POWERADE FAB 50, and the team's star player is senior power forward Tony Parker (the No. 31 player in the ESPNU 100).
The game will be televised live at 7 p.m. CT on ESPN2, so you know it's a big deal. To get you inside the game, I talked to Simeon star junior Jabari Parker (the No. 1 player in the ESPNU 60) and played a little game of True or False.
* Parker's responses are in Wolverines' blue.
True or False
1. Miller Grove is the best team Simeon has faced so far this season. Parker: True — They play on a national level, and the teams we've been playing against so far haven't been tested like that.
2. Tony Parker is the best player Simeon has faced so far this season. Parker: True — He's a big presence down low. Once he gets it in the paint, there's no stopping him. He's just so huge and agile, there's no one that can match up with him one-on-one.
3. National TV games are a big deal to you. Parker: True — With this game being on ESPN2, you know everybody will be watching. It's a chance for us to get a lot of looks on a national level.
4. A Simeon player will do something in this game to make the SportsCenter Top 10. Parker: True — It can be anybody, though. We've got a lot of guys that can make the highlight reel.
5. Simeon will still be No. 1 in the FAB 50 after this game. Parker:True — I just have that much confidence in this team. If we play our best game, I don't know if anyone in the country can match that. We get everyone's "A-game," but in the fourth quarter we're usually the tougher team.
Whitney Young is also set to take on Gonzaga Prep (Washington, D.C.) in the Cancer Research Classic, with that game tipping off at 9 p.m. Saturday. For the complete schedule of ESPN-televised high school basketball games this season, click here.