Friday, January 6, 2012
True or False: Special guest Nick Osborne
By By Mike Grimala
Nick Osborne is flying pretty high right now. The senior power forward has committed to Loyola, he's among the top rebounders in Indiana, and he has his Muncie Central basketball team ranked No. 1 in the POWERADE FAB 50 state rankings. In a huge win over No. 10 Pike last week, Osborne posted 23 points and 12 rebounds to lead the way.
But Osborne and the Bearcats will face perhaps their toughest challenge of the season on Saturday, when they travel to take on No. 2 Hamilton SE and senior guard Gary Harris (the No. 1 player in the state and the No. 10 player in the ESPNU 100).
A No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup? You know we've got to break out a game of True or False for the occasion, and Osborne was nice enough to play along.
* Osborne's responses are in Bearcat purple.
TRUE OR FALSE
1. Hamilton SE is the best team you've played so far this season. Osborne: True — They've been ranked No. 1 or right up there for the whole season, so they've proven themselves to be one of the top teams in the state. And they play a tough schedule. They just beat North Central last week, so they're capable of beating anybody.
2. You have a plan to stop Gary Harris. Osborne: True — Obviously I'm not going to promise that we're gonna shut him down or anything, because he's one of the best players in the state. But I'd say we're going to try to slow him down. We want to make sure every shot is tough and not give him any easy lanes to the basket. We hope he's relying more on the outside shot than on easy dunks.
3. You will post a double-double in this game. Osborne: True — I think it's a good matchup for all our big guys. I think we have a size advantage, so hopefully we can make an impact in that way.
4. Muncie Central will still be ranked No. 1 after this game. Osborne: True — We're pretty confident. Obviously it's going to be a tough game, but we've had a really good week of practice so far. We've got good team leaders, and we're focused. We know we can beat any team in the state.
5. Muncie Central is the favorite to win the state championship. Osborne: False — I think we're kind of the underdog. We've only got an enrollment of like 1,000, and coming into the preseason we were ranked outside the Top 10. We've kind of worked our way up since then. We may be the favorites in 3A now, so now it may be true. But we don't look at it like that.