Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Rockhurst enters national rankings
By By Brandon Parker
The undisputed top team in the state of Missouri can now say it's one of the nation's best squad after entering the new POWERADE FAB 50 football rankings. The Hawklets opened the season with a big 35-20 win against Blue Springs, vaulting to them the No. 50 spot on the updated list.
Without further ado, here's a look at the new state rankings following the first week of play (last week's rankings in parentheses):
1. Rockhurst 1-0 (1) Maintained supremacy with 35-20 win against solid Blue Springs squad. Up next: Hutchinson (Kan.) on Friday.
2. Lee's Summit West 1-0 (2) Defending Class 5 champs took care of Raymore-Peculiar, 49-13. Up next: at Central on Friday.
3. DeSmet (St. Louis) 1-0 (4) Moved up a spot after big 28-0 win against fellow top 10 team, Hazelwood Central. Up next: at Hazelwood East High.
4. Staley (Kansas City) 1-0 (5) Showed potential with 30-6 win against Raytown. Will get big test Friday against Blue Springs.
8. Kirkwood 1-0 (9) Put together easy 36-7 win against Rockwood Summit in opener. Up next: Bye week followed by Seckman on Sept. 9
9. Webb City 1-0 (10) Overcame graduation of several senior starters, the Cardinals stood tall in their opener with 38-14 win against Ozark. Next up: at Willard on Friday.
10. Blue Springs 0-1 (Unranked) Despite record, the Wildcats put up a fight in loss to top-ranked Rockhurst and have a chance to rebound in a big way Friday against fourth-ranked Staley.
Dropped out of Top 10: No. 6 Hazelwood Central (Florissant) 0-1
On the Bubble: Blue Springs South, Bolivar, Carthage, Harrisonville, Hazelwood Central (Florissant), Helias (Jefferson City), Howell (St. Charles), Jefferson City, Kearney, MICDS (St. Louis), Park Hill (Kansas City), Park Hill South (Kansas City), Parkway Central (Chesterfield), Penney (Hamlilton), Richmond, Rock Bridge (Columbia), Valle Catholic (St. Genevieve), Warren County
Brandon Parker covers Missouri for ESPNHS magazine and ESPNHIGHSCHOOL.com. Follow him on Twitter @brandoncparker or email him at email@example.com.