Monday, December 12, 2011
The Five Days of List-Mas: NC's A-List
By By Brandon Parker
Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday
Whether you’re putting together a grouping of best quarterbacks or worst albums, or you’re making that special list for Santa, there’s nothing quite like a good list. So in honor of the holiday season we’re bringing you lists all week long — Merry List-Mas!
In the NFL, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are A-Listers. In the NBA, it’s LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. But who are the A-Listers in North Carolina? That’s where today’s list comes in. Regardless of sport, here’s our list of the top five A-List athletes in the state. Can you think of an A-Lister we didn’t mention? Let us know in the comments.
5. Thomas Graham (SR), Cary Academy, Cross Country Credentials: Four-time NCISSAA 3A state champ, ninth at Foot Locker Nationals, No. 20 in DyeStat rankings
4. Braxton Ogbueze (SR), United Faith Christian, Basketball Credentials: Florida recruit, nation's No. 35 player in ESPNU 100
3. Todd Gurley (SR), Tarboro, Football Credentials: State's No. 2 running back, led Vikings to three straight Class 2A titles, Semper Fidelis All-American
2. Rodney Purvis (SR), Upper Room Christian, Basketball Credentials: Nation's No. 16 player in ESPNU 100, N.C. State recruit, 2011 Elite 24 participant, friends with Washington Wizards star John Wall
1. Keith Marshall (SR), Millbrook, Football Credentials: Georgia recruit, Nation's No. 6 player in ESPNU 150, 2011 Gatorade State Player of the Year, Under Armour All-American, school's all-time leading rusher
Click here to check out some of the other states in our Five Days of List-Mas.
Brandon Parker covers North Carolina for ESPNHS magazine and ESPNHS.com. Follow him on Twitter@brandoncparker or email him at email@example.com.