Monday, December 12, 2011
Five days of List-Mas: Texas' A-list
By By Brandon Parker
Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday
Whether you’re putting together a grouping of best quarterbacks or worst albums, or you’re making that special list for Santa, there’s nothing quite like a good list. So in honor of the holiday season we’re bringing you lists all week long — Merry List-Mas!
In the NFL, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are A-Listers. In the NBA, it’s LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. But who are the A-Listers in Texas? That’s where today’s list comes in. Regardless of sport, here’s our list of the top five A-List athletes in the state. Can you think of an A-Lister we didn’t mention? Let us know in the comments.
5. Daniel Vertiz (SR), S.A. Reagan, Cross Country Credentials: NXN runner-up, fifth at Foot Locker Nationals, second at 5A state meet
4. Marcus Smart (SR), Flower Mound Marcus, Basketball Credentials: Oklahoma State recruit, nation's No. 11 player in ESPNU 100, reigning Gatorade State Player of the Year, led Marauders to Class 5A state title, adidas Super 64 MVP
3. Julius Randle (JR), Prestonwood Christian, Basketball Credentials: Nation's No. 3 player in ESPNU 60, 2011 Elite 24 participant, tweeted by Kevin Durant
2. Mario Edwards Jr. (SR), Denton Ryan, Football Credentials: Nation's No. 1 player in ESPNU 150, Florida State commit,2010 Class 4A Defensive POY
1. Johnathan Gray (SR), Aledo, Football Credentials: Texas recruit, No. 5 player in ESPNU 150, two-time Gatorade State POY, 2011 Gatorade National POY, 2010 Mr. Football USA, two-time Class 4A, Division II champion, nation's all-time career TD co-leader, state record holder in carries, touchdowns, points, 100-yard games and single-season rushing touchdowns
Click here to check out some of the other states in our Five Days of List-Mas.
Brandon Parker covers Texas for ESPNHS magazine and ESPNHS.com. Follow him on Twitter@brandoncparker or email him at email@example.com.