NB Games: Livingston beats Glass, grabs 500 USR; Cheserek 4:02.21 1M - #2 a-t
January, 21, 2012
John Nepolitan/ESPNHSStrymar Livingston breaks the tape in a 500 meter USR of 1:01.68, and avenging a 2011 defeat to Najee Glass.Coverage of the 2012 New Balance Games
Sat., Jan. 21, 2012 - The Armory, New York, N.Y.
LINKS: Meet's Own Site with Entries | ARCHIVED WEBCAST
Coming Post Meet: Full Results | DyeStat Elite |
Nepo's Photos: Cheserek in Elite Mile | Sprints | HS Miles |
Scroll down for highlights and meet schedule
John Nepolitan/ESPNHSEd Cheserek was in a rare situation Saturday -- running the middle of a pack -- but he competed well against the elites for a US#1 4:02.21, 7th place and #2 all-time.
- B-500: USR 1:01.68 for Christopher Columbus NY sr Strymar Livingston, topping the old mark of 1:02.40 (Mike Greene 1984). St. Peter's Prep NJ sr Najee Glass was 2nd, also under the old mark with 1:02.16. Last year, Glass beat Livingston in this race, 1:02.22-1:02.88, but the apparent record was not accepted due to a lane violation.
- Elite-1M: US#1 4:02.21 for St. Benedict's NJ jr Ed Cheserek, finishing 7th among the elites and good for #2 all-time behind Alan Webb's 3:59.86. He went out in 60.4 and was 3:00.8 at 3/4 mile. Historical Links: Coverage of 2001 New Balance Games | John Dye's story of Webb's sub-4 | 23 Photos from Webb's great day
- Boys-1M: US#3 4:14.52 for Liverpool sr Zavon Watkins, moving ahead of Chariho RI sr Mike Marsella US#4 4:15.27 on the last lap -- after Marsella had led the entire race through 65.4-2:10.6-3:14.3 -- and both qualifying for the Millrose Games Boys HS Mile.
- Girls-1M: US#2 4:48.96 for West Genesee NY soph Laura Leff, ahead of US#5 4:49.36 by Cosby VA jr Megan Moye and #7 4:55.79 by Lake Braddock VA sr Sophie Chase. The top 2 qualify for the Millrose Games Girls HS Mile.
- B-4x800: 7:52.45 for Boys & Girls NY, improving their own US#1.
- G-4x800: US#1 9:09.69 for Mt. St. Dominic NJ, with 5 more teams between 9:21 and 9:28.
- G-4x200: US#3 1:41.20 for Mt. Vernon NY, surprising US#2 Medgar Evers NY at 1:41.52.
- B-4x200: US#2 1:29.29 for Uniondale NY, edging Penn Wood PA #3 1:29.69.
- B-SMR: Not super fast, but Liverpool NY anchor Zavon Watkins (mile winner) outlegs Columbus NY anchor Strymar Livingston (500 USR setter) in the final 800 for the 3:36.45-3:36.53 victory.
- G-SMR: US#3 4:07.38 for Garden City NY.
- G-400: US#4 55.60 for Medgar Evers NY jr Kadecia Baird; Paramus Catholic NJ sr Myasia Jacobs was expected, but did not run.
- G-55H: US#3 7.99 for Cardozo NY sr Akayla Anderson.
- B-55H: US#6 7.42 by Willingboro NJ sr Issac Williams.
Preview: Top Storyline:Elite 1M: In a race that features elites as good as Great Britain’s Andy Baddeley (3:55.64 indoor/3:49.38 outdoor PRs), St. Benedict’s NJ jr Ed Cheserek will have a great chance to make history, just as Alan Webb did in the same race 11 years ago. In the 2001 New Balance Games, Webb became the first prep sub-4 miler indoors with a 3:59.86. Cheserek’s PR is 4:03.29 from last spring and he’s coming off an unbeaten, record-breaking Foot Locker championship XC season this past fall and an 8:43.16 2M (#5 performance ever) last week. Cheserek won’t be the only teen in the race as 16-year-old World Youth Champs 3k finalist (7:57.45) Mohammed Abid of Morocco is competing, sporting a 3:42.32 PR.
More anticipated storylines
- B-500: A year ago, Seton Hall Prep NJ sr Najee Glass crossed the line in the 500 meters on this track in an apparent USR 1:02.22, but when video later revealed he’d run outside his line, the record wasn’t accepted (though the results stood). So he’ll go for it again here, with last year’s runner-up Strymar Livingston (a #3 all-time 1:02.88) also with a great chance for the record. As if that’s not enough, current US#1 and Henry Wise MD sr Champ Page – 1:05.43 on a flat track – could well play the spoiler.
- G-400: Paramus Catholic NJ sr Myasia Jacobs – US#1 at 55M and best known for her deep short creds from 55-200, in and out, moves up to the 400 to battle 300 US#1 Medgar Evers NY sr Kadecia Baird and a deep field of long sprint standouts.
- G-1M: Some new faces to The Armory this winter will do battle in this one, as entries include Virginia’s Foot Locker Finalists Megan Moye (Cosby jr) and Sophie Chase (Lake Braddock sr), and from the home state West Genesee soph Laura Leff, who was 3rd at Foot Locker. Moye sports a 4:48 1600 PR from last spring.
- B-1M: 4:09 outdoor miler and Chariho RI sr Mike Marsella has taken his time to get into things after a long XC season, but he heads up the field here in his big-meet debut. Again, Foot Locker Finalists are in force with Tim Ball (Piscataway NJ sr), Daniel Lennon (Peru NY sr) and Connor Rog (Fairfield Prep CT sr) in the field. Then there’s also the speed of 2011 New Balance Indoor Nationals 800 champ and Liverpool NY sr Zavon Watkins (1:49.70 800 / 4:11.13 1600 PRs outdoors).
2012 New Balance Games Order of Events
9 am Varsity Girls' Shot Put Relay
9 am Varsity Boys' Long Jump Relay
9 am Varsity Girls' Long Jump Relay
9 am Varsity Boys' Pole Vault Relay
9 am Varsity Girls' Shuttle Hurdle Relay (Final on Time)
9 am Freshman Girls' 4x200m Relay (Final on Time)
9:20 am Freshman Boys' 4x200m Relay (Final on Time)
9:35 am Varsity Boys' Shuttle Hurdle Relay (Final on Time)
9:45 am Sophomore Girls' 4x200m Relay (Final on Time)
10:05 am Sophomore Boys' 4x200m Relay (Final on Time)
10:25 am Varsity Girls' 4x200m Relay Trials
11:05 am Varsity Boys' 4x200m Relay Trials
11:45 am Freshman Girls' 4x400m Relay Final
12:10 pm Freshman Boys' 4x400m Relay Final
12:35 pm Sophomore Girls' 4x400m Relay Final
12:55 pm Sophomore Boys' 4x400m Relay Final
ArmoryTrack.com YouTube webcast begins
12:55 pm Varsity Boys' Invitational 55m Hurdles
1 pm Varsity Girls' Invitational 55m Hurdles
1:15 pm Varsity Girls' Invitational 400m Dash
1:20 pm Varsity Boys' Invitational 400m Dash
1:25 pm Youth Girls' 4x200m Relay Final
1:28 pm Youth Boys' 4x200m Relay Final
1:30 pm Opening Ceremony
1:40 pm Elite Men's Mile Run
1:50 pm Elite Women's 800m Run
1:55 pm Varsity Girls' Invitational Mile Run
2 pm Varsity Boys' Triple Jump Relay
2 pm Varsity Girls' Triple Jump Relay
2 pm Varsity Girls' High Jump Relay
2 pm Varsity Boys' Shot Put Relay
2 pm Varsity Boys' High Jump Relay
2 pm Varsity Girls' Pole Vault Relay
2:05 pm Varsity Girls' 4x200m Relay Final
2:15 pm Elite Women's 400m Dash
2:20 pm Elite Men's 400m Dash
2:25 pm Varsity Boys' Invitational Mile Run
2:35 pm Varsity Boys' 4x200m Relay Final
2:45 pm Elite Women's Mile Run
2:50 pm Varsity Boys' Invitational 500m Dash
2:55 pm Elite Men's 800m Run
ArmoryTrack.com YouTube webcast concludes
3:20 pm Varsity Girls' 4x400m Relay Final
4:10 pm Varsity Boys' 4x400m Relay Final
5:10 pm Varsity Girls' 4x800m Relay Final
6:10 pm Varsity Boys' 4x800m Relay Final
7 pm Varsity Girls' Sprint Medley Relay Final
7:40 pm Varsity Boys' Sprint Medley Relay Final