Hispanic Games: Samantha Nadel rips US#1 4:46.11 to win big girls mile
January, 6, 2012
By Steve Underwood | ESPN.com
John Nepolitan/ESPNHSSamantha Nadel displays the joy of winning the Hispanic Games mile in a US#1 4:46.11.Coverage of the 2012 Hispanic Games
Sat., Jan. 7, 2012 - The Armory, New York, N.Y.
LINKS: Meet's Own Site and seeded entries
John Nepolitan Photos | Results (coming)
MEET WEBCAST (12:30pm ET to 3:50pm)
Scroll down for meet schedule
- North Shore NY sr and defending Millrose champ Samantha Nadel rolls a US#1 and Armory record 4:46.11 (#13 all-time) to win her showdown with Bronxville NY soph Mary Cain (US#2 4:48.98). Leader splits are 70.2-2:24.1 and 3:37.0 as Nadel pushes early to get away from Cain’s kick. Both qualify for Millrose.
- Chaminade NY sr Thomas Awad pulls away from Peru NY sr and Foot Locker Finalist Dan Lennon in the boys 2M for a US#1 9:10.97 victory. Early splits were 67.9 - 2:17.8 - 3:27.4 - 4:38.3 as the top two pulled away and made it a 2-man race.
- Cardozo NY sr Alexis Panisse kicks from 5 meters down in the final lap to beat North Shore NY sr Brianna Nerud in the girls 3k, US#2 10:05.41 to 10:07.46. The leaders were 5:20.5 at 1600.
- After early splits of 61.8 and 2:10.3, Carmel NY’s Eric Holt leads through three-quarters at 3:14 before Ned Willig jumps to the lead and battles New Providence NJ Everett Price for the final two laps. Willig wins, US#3 4:15.61 to 4:16.22 as both he and Price earn Millrose spots.
- Medgar Evers NY sr Kadecia Baird, the US leader at 300, runs a US#2 55.85 to win the 400
- Wise MD sr Champ Page takes the invitational 400 in US#2 48.50
- Uniondale NY runs the 2nd fastest time in the boys 4 x 200 trials, then wins in the finals in 1:30.44 over Dunbar MD. The girls 4x200 goes to Medgar Evers in 1:41.87.
John Nepolitan (composed by Moses Galindo)/ESPNHSAjee Wilson NJ, Mary Cain NY and Samantha Nadel NY head up the outstanding Hispanic Games girls mile field.PREVIEW
- The girls mile, a Millrose Games qualifier, could be the highlight of the meet, featuring Neptune NJ sr Ajee Wilson, Bronxville NY soph Mary Cain, North Shore NY sr Samantha Nadel, and Friends Academy NY sr Kelsey Margey. Wilson, of course, is best known for her 800 prowess, which netted her last year’s World Youth title (US#2 2:02.64, #6 all-time) as well as last winter’s New Balance Indoor Nationals crown (US#1 2:06.17, #6 all-time). But she is also the defending champ in this race, has run 4:43.92 for 1600 (outdoors 2010), and last winter won the loaded Brooks PR mile (4:49.48) and was 3rd at Millrose. Cain set the frosh 1500 USR with a US#2 4:17.84 last spring to win the New York state meet, then was 5th in the New Balance Outdoor Mile and 2nd in the USATF Jr 1500. She is currently US#1 in the 1500 and 1000.Nadel is the defending Millrose Champ and last spring also ran a 4:25.59 1500. She is currently US#1 for 3k at 9:46.39 and has anchored North Shore’s US#1 4x1500 and DMR relays (the latter with a 4:47 that is the best anyone has run for any distance close to the mile this winter). Margey, ran a 4:23.82 1500 and 4:47.39 mile last spring, and has an even faster mile PR of 4:43.91 from 2010.
- Boys 400 – St. Peter NJ sr Najee Glass (in 2011 US#2 400 indoors, #3 400 outdoors, plus a 1:02.22 500 that was fastest ever but ruled record-ineligible due to lane violation discovered later) paces the entries, followed by current 500 US#1 Champ Page MD and Robert Rhodes NY, who is current 800 #2 and 1000 #1 (plus US#3 600 last year).
- Boys 800 – Current US#2 Boys and Girls NY sr Robert Rhodes (1:53.81 PR) leads the field.
- Boys Mile – Top seed is US#4 Great Valley PA sr Ned Willig (4:17.47), who ran 4:11.99 1600 last spring.
- Boys 2M – Foot Locker finalist and Peru NY sr Dan Lennon, who ran 9:07.52 3200 last spring, leads the field.
- Girls 400 – 300 US#1 Medgar Evers NY jr Kadecia Baird (38.35) moves up (she usually runs the 100 and 200 outdoors) and faces PA star Jordan Matthews and Garden City NY frosh Emma Gallagher, who won the Marine Corps 800 on Dec. 27.
- Girls 800 – Neptune NJ sr Ajee Wilson, the nation’s top half-miler, doubles back from the mile to face a field that includes Cardozo jr Sabrina Southerland, who won the Bishop Loughlin 1000 in December.
- Girls 3k – Current US#1 miler and North Shore NY sr Brianna Nerud is the top seed. She also has on her resume the #2 ever prep 2k ST from last summer’s World Youth Champs. She should crush her 3k PR of 9:59.80. Foot Locker finalist and Cardozo jr Alexis Panisse, who has run 10:05.17, is seeded 2nd.
- Girls 1500 RW – Garden City NY’s Molly Josephs, who has walked a US#1 7:36.0 this winter, leads the field.
- Boys 200/55 – Defending NBIN 200 champ and 2011 US#1 Ronald Darby (Potomac MD sr) clashes with current 300 US#1 Penn Wood PA sr Eric Futch and 400 top seed Najee Glass NJ. Darby is also the top seed in the boys 55.
- Girls 200/LJ – Nansemond River VA sr Shakeela Saunders is the top seed in the 200 and the LJ (where she is US#1 20-0.5).
- Girls 55 dash – Paramus Catholic NJ sr Myasia Jacobs, last winter’s NBIN 60 champ with US#2 7.34 (US#2 6.82 55 en route) tops the slate.
Day One Order of Events
Top eight trials times qualify for the final
9 am Boys' 55m hurdles trials
9:40 am Girls' 55m hurdles trials
10:10 am Boys' 55m dash trials
10:40 am Girls' 55m dash trials
11:30 am Girls' 55m hurdles final
11:40 am Boys' 55m hurdles final
11:50 am Girls' 55m dash final
Noon Boys' 55m dash final
On the Oval
8:45 am Girls' 1500m racewalk
9:20 am Boys' mile run
11:10 am Girls' mile run
12:30 pm Live webcast window opens
12:40 pm Boys' 4x200m relay trials
1:25 pm Girls' 4x200m relay trials
2:10 pm National anthem & presentation
2:25 pm Boys' two-mile run
2:40 pm Girls' 3,000m run
2:55 pm Boys' 4x200m relay final
3:05 pm Boys' invitational mile run
3:15 pm Girls' invitational 400m dash final
3:25 pm Boys' invitational 400m dash final
3:35 pm Girls' invitational mile run
3:45 pm Girls' 4x200m relay final
3:50 pm Live webcast window closes (following girls' 4x200)
3:55 pm Boys' 400m dash final (on time)
4:30 pm Girls' 400m dash final (on time)
5:05 pm Boys' 200m dash trials
5:55 pm Girls' 200m dash trials
6:25 pm Boys' 800m run
7:10 pm Girls' 800m run
7:50 pm Boys' 200m dash final
7:55 pm Girls' 200m dash final
8 pm Boys' 4x400m relay final (on time)
8:30 pm Girls' 4x400m relay final (on time)
9 pm Boys' 4x800m relay final
9:30 pm Girls' 4x800m relay final
9 am Boys' pole vault
9 am Boys' shot put
9 am Boys' long jump
9 am Girls' long jump
2 pm Boys' high jump
2 pm Girls' high jump
2 pm Boys' triple jump
2 pm Girls' triple jump
2 pm Girls' pole vault
2 pm Girls' shot put
Day Two Order of Events
On the Oval
9 am Freshmen Girls' 4x200m relay final (on time)
9:10 am Freshmen Boys' 4x200m relay final (on time)
9:30 am Sophomore Boys' 4x200m relay final (on time)
9:40 am Class Girls' 4x200m relay trials
10 am Class Boys' 4x200m relay trials
10:20 am Freshmen Girls' 4x400m relay final
10:35 am Freshmen Boys' 4x400m relay final
10:50 am Sophomore Girls' 4x400m relay final
11:05 am Sophomore Boys' 4x400m relay final
11:20 am Class Girls' 4x400m relay final
11:35 am Class Boys' 4x400m relay final
11:55 am Freshmen Girls' invitational mile run
Noon Freshmen Boys' invitational mile run
12:05 pm Class Girls' 4x200m relay final
12:10 pm Class Boys' 4x200m relay final
12:20 pm Sophomore Girls' invitational mile run
12:25 pm Sophomore Boys' invitational mile run
12:35 pm Freshmen Girls' 4x800m relay final
12:50 pm Freshmen Boys' 4x800m relay final
1:15 pm Sophomore Girls' 4x800m relay final
1:30 pm Sophomore Boys' 4x800m relay final
1:45 pm Class Girls' 4x800m relay final
2:05 pm Class Boys' 4x800m relay final
2:30 pm Varsity Girls' 4x400m relay final
2:50 pm Varsity Boys' 4x400m relay final
9 am Class Girls' shot put relay
9 am Class Boys' long jump relay
9 am Class Girls' long jump relay
9 am Class Girls' high jump relay
9 am Class Boys' high jump relay
9 am Class Boys' pole vault relay
11:30 am Class Boys' shot put relay
11:30 am Freshmen Boys' long jump relay
11:30 am Freshmen Girls' long jump relay
11:30 am Freshmen Girls' high jump relay
11:30 am Freshmen Boys' high jump relay
11:30 am Class Girls' pole vault relay