Wednesday, August 1, 2012
2012 Super 25 Preseason Boys: Defending NXN champ Christian Brothers NJ is #1
By Marc Bloom
George Kelly (left) is among the departed, but CBA NJ boys return five sub-9:20 3200 runners to lead their NXN defending champs.
Pre-season 2012 High School Cross Country Rankings
Following is a look at the prospects for “our” Olympics—the race for team honors this fall in high school cross-country nationwide.
BOYS SUPER 25
1. Christian Brothers Academy, Lincroft, NJ The reigning national champions return a top 5 with 9:08 to 9:17 3200 credentials in pursuit of becoming the first NXN boys’ team to win a second (and repeat) title.
Coaches: Tom Heath and Chris Bennett
2. Carroll HS, Southlake, TX The 2011 NXN runner-up by 4 points returns its top 2 and 4 of 7 with hopes of again running CBA to the wire.
Coach: Justin Leonard
3. North Central HS, Spokane, WA The 2008 NXN champion returns its entire top 7 from the 2011 NXN 7th-place and victorious Northwest Regional squad with a great shot at a second national title.
Coach: Jonathan Knight
4. York HS, Elmhurst, IL The 2004 NXN champion and ’05 runner-up returns its entire top 7 from the 2011 13th-place team with designs on another national crown.
Coach: Joe Newton
5. Davis HS, Kaysville, UT The 2011 NXN 3rd-placer returns 4 of its top 6, that spread 41 seconds, and should contend again for a podium position.
Coach: Corbin Talley
6. American Fork HS, American Fork, UT American Fork and Utah rival Davis are destined to duel in state, regional and nationals with the 2011 NXN 6th-place Cavemen returning another solid line-up.
Coach: Timo Mostert
7. Stillwater HS, Stillwater, MN The Ponies, 10th at NXN last year, have their best team since being ranked Harrier national #1 in 1997, with 4 of their top 5 back after an excellent track season.
Coach: Scott Christensen
8. Cardinal O’Hara HS, Springfield, PA The 2011 Great American champions return their top-5 from a squad that took 2nd on a tie-breaker in the state 3A championships.
Coach: Tom Kennedy
9. Seattle Prep, Seattle, WA The Northwest Regional 3rd-placer and state 3A runner-up to North Central returns 6 of 7 in pursuit of podium contention.
Coach: John Robertson
10. Fayetteville-Manlius HS, Manlius, NY The ever-present nationals’ contenders, that placed 12th in 2011, return 4 of 7 -- led by individual threat Nick Ryan, a 4:05 1600 runner.
Coach: Bill Aris
11. Trabuco Hills HS, Mission Viejo, CA California’s best loses some up-front power from its state Div. I title team that placed 14th at NXN, but still returns 4 solid performers in a tight pack.
Coach: Liam Clemons
12. Bishop Hendricken HS, Warwick, RI The 2009 Northeast Regional champions and perennial state power return their top 5 from the 2011 NE 4th-place squad, and look to do some damage nationally.
Coach: Jim Doyle
13. Carmel HS, Carmel, IN State 3rd-place team with a great tradition has its top-5 back with a chance to contend for regional honors and have an impact on the national scene.
Coach: Erhard Bell
14. St. John Bosco HS, Bellflower, CA State Div. 3 runner-up returns 5 of its top 7 and should be a state favorite and a contender to make nationals.
Coach: Tim McIntosh
15. Cleveland HS, Rio Rancho, NM The 3-year-old school returns most of the squad that ran away with state 5A last year, led by individual champion Luis Martinez, 9:12 for 3200 at altitude.
Coach: Ken Henry
16. Rancho Cucamonga HS, Rancho Cucamonga, CA The 2011 NXN at-large qualifier returns 4 of its top 7 with hopes of dueling Trabuco Hills for state Div. I honors.
Coach: Terry Tierney
17. Bismarck HS, Bismarck, ND Heartland runner-up Jake Leingang is back after an outstanding track season to lead a squad with 5 of 7 back and hopes of challenging Stillwater for regional supremacy.
Coach: Dave Zittleman
18. Council Rock North HS, Newtown, PA Top 5 return for a long-time area power that hopes to race into state 3A contention against favored O’Hara.
Coach: David Marrington
19. Central Catholic HS, Portland, OR Galen Rupp’s alma mater returns state 6A defender Kyle Thompson, along with 4 more top performers, and will face Summit (5A) and Siuslaw (4A) for state-wide supremacy.
Coach: David Frank
20. Desert Vista HS, Phoenix, AZ State Div. I runner-up returns 5 of 7 with hopes of regional contention.
Coach: Chris Hanson
21. Glenbard South HS, Glen Ellyn, IL State 2A runner-up returns 5 of top 7 to loom as division favorite and state’s 2nd best overall behind York.
Coach: Andy Preuss
22. Mountain Vista HS, Highlands Ranch, CO State 5A runner-up and Northwest Regional 4th-placer returns 5 of 7 with hopes of climbing higher in state and region.
Coaches: Jonathan Dalby and Eric Selle
23. St. Xavier HS, Louisville, KY Long-time regional power returns top 4 from 5th-place Southeast squad, led by two boys who placed 1-2 in state 3A, with hopes of regaining national standing.
Coach: Chuck Medley
24. Walt Whitman HS, So. Huntington, NY A trio of 9:20s 3200 runners could vault this team into state contention, but first it will be tested by Suffolk County rival Northport, which boasts a quartet of 4:20 milers.
Coach: Rich Conroy
25. Marcus HS, Lewisville, TX Five of the top 6 return for this dark horse that boasts a young squad with great promise, led by last year’s frosh twins Logan and Luke Hendrix.
Coach: Steve Telaneus
Boys Regional Rankings
(alphabetically, #1 team in CAPS)
New York Arlington
Northeast (CT, ME, MA, NH, NJ, PA, RI, VT) Bishop Feehan (MA)
Bishop Hendricken (RI)
Cardinal O’Hara (PA)
CHRISTIAN BROTHERS (NJ)
Council Rock No (PA)
North Penn (PA)
Pope John XXIII (NJ)
W Windsor Plainsboro So (NJ)
South (AR, LA, MS, OK, TX) Bentonville (AR)
College Park (TX)
Cypress Woods (TX)
Edmond Mem. (OK)
Klein Oak (TX)
SOUTHLAKE CARROLL (TX)
Strake Jesuit (TX)
The Woodlands (TX)
Southeast (AL, DE, FL, GA, KY, MD, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV) Belen Jesuit (FL)
Brentwood Acad. (TN)
Cabell Midland (WV)
Chapel Hill (NC)
Fort Walton Beach (FL)
Peachtree Ridge (GA)
ST. XAVIER (KY)
Midwest (IL, IN, OH, MI, MO) Belvidere North (IL)
Columbus North (IN)
Glenwood South (IL)
St. Xavier (OH)