Wednesday, August 1, 2012
2012 Super 25 Preseason Girls: 6-time NXN champ Fayetteville-Manlius NY still #1
By Marc Bloom
With six of their top seven back, Fay-Man is preseason #1 and favored to extend their run of NXN titles (now at six).
Pre-season 2012 High School Cross Country Rankings
Following is a look at the prospects for “our” Olympics—the race for team honors this fall in high school cross-country nationwide.
Girls Super 25
1. Fayetteville-Manlius HS, Manlius, NY The remarkable Stotans shoot for their 7th straight NXN championship with 6 of their top 7 returning, led by New York Regional winner Jillian Fanning.
Coach: Bill Aris
2. Tatnall School, Wilmington, DE While the Hornets lose 2011 NXN runner-up Haley Pierce, the perennial finalists look better than ever with their next 6 back and plenty of big-race experience.
Coach: Pat Castagno
3. Fort Collins HS, Fort Collins, CO All 7 girls return from the 2011 NXN 6th-place team, which is known for its master peaking and should be on the short list of national contenders.
Coach: Chris Suppes
4. New Trier HS, Winnetka, IL Runaway state 3A champion and 2011 NXN 4th-placer returns 5 of top 7 in pursuit of another shot at the podium.
Coach: John Burnside
5. Xavier Prep, Phoenix, AZ Runaway state Div. I champion and 2011 NXN 8th-placer returns 5 of top 7, led by state titlist Sarah Fakler.
Coaches: Dave Van Sickle and Jeff Messer
6. La Costa Canyon HS, Carlsbad, CA With 6 of its top 7 back from the 2011 NXN 13th-place squad, the Mavericks have a shot at dethroning Saugus in state Div. 2 and racing into the national top-10.
Coach: Bill Vice
7. Saratoga Springs HS, Saratoga Springs, NY Returning 3 of its top 7, the 2004 NXN champions will face a stiff challenge in achieving a 4th-straight national runner-up position and 7th podium spot overall.
Coaches: Art and Linda Kranick
8. Grosse Pointe South HS, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI Senior twins Hannah (2011 and 2012 indoor national mile champion) and Haley Meier lead a strong varsity that could prove to be one of the best in the Midwest.
Coach: Steve Zaranek
9. Monarch HS, Louisville, CO In a renewal of their rivalry with Fort Collins, the state 5A champs return the entire top 7 (and 6 of them will be back again in 2013).
Coach: Kent Rieder
10. Carmel HS, Carmel, IN Four of the top 7 return from the 2011 Midwest Regional champions that won state by 97 points and placed 7th at NXN.
Coach: Mark Ellington
11. Glacier Peak HS, Snohomish, WA Reigning Northwest Regional champion Amy Eloise-Neale, 5th at nationals, leads 6 of the top 7 back for the 2011 NXN 16th-place squad.
Coach: Dan Parker
12. Academy of Holy Names, Albany, NY The 5th-place New York Regional team has its top 6 back, while adding Saratoga transfer Estela Smith, with hopes of joining the premier state’s elite.
Coach: Carlo Cherubino
13. Simi Valley HS, Simi Valley, CA 2011 NXN champion Sarah Baxter returns for her junior year, with 4 other varsity performers, for her team to try and challenge La Costa and Saugus for state Div. 2 honors.
Coach: Roger Evans
14. Saugus HS, Saugus, CA The state and national power with a history of NXN podium finishes will defend its Div. 2 title against tough opposition.
Coach: Rene Paragas
15. Carroll HS, Southlake, TX Only 2 of top 7 return for the 2011 South champions and NXN 7th-placer, but the Dragons are famous for molding new talent into a strong, complete varsity.
Coach: Justin Leonard
16. Ogden HS, Ogden, UT The Utah 3A school loses its state champion, but returns its remaining scorers from the 2011 Southwest 5th-place squad trying to break into the regional elite.
Coach: Don Hall
17. Saline HS, Saline, MI The 2011 state Div. 1 5-point runner-up behind Grosse Pointe South returns 5 of its top 6, led by a pair of sophs, and should give GPS a run for its money.
Coach: Michael Smith
18. Voorhees HS, Glen Gardner, NJ The 2010 Northeast Regional champion, which fell off in late 2011 with a state meet 5th-place finish, returns its entire line-up seeking redemption in 2012.
Coach: Justina Cassavell
19. San Clemente HS, San Clemente, CA The 2011 State Div. 1 champion returns 5 of 7 with a line-up that could contend for an NXN berth.
Coach: Dave Proodian
20. Assumption HS, Louisville, KY Returns 5 of its top 7, with hopes of returning to nationals, after dominating state and taking second to Tatnall in the Southeast Regional.
Coach: Barry Haworth
21. Bozeman HS, Bozeman, MT Young squad that dominated state and placed 3rd in the Northwest returns 6 of top 7 with an excellent chance to challenge for regional supremacy.
Coach: Clint May
22. Los Alamos HS, Los Alamos, NM Long-time regional power, training at over 7,000 feet, returns entire varsity from its runaway 2011 state 4A title team with hopes of making it back to nationals.
Coaches: Rob and Kathy Hipwood
23. Flower Mound HS, Lewisville, TX The 2011 State 5A 3rd-placer, that was only 6 points behind would-be California state Div. 3 champion at Nike South Invite, has its top 5 back and could be the best in Texas.
Coach: Andrew Cook
24. Hamilton-Wenham HS, Hamilton, MA Surprise 2011 Northeast Regional winner by 55 points returns 5 of its top 7 with hopes of defending its title against deeper opposition this season.
Coach: Steve Sawyer
25. The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands, TX With 5 of its top 7 back, led by state 5A bronze medalist Maddie McLellan, the Highlanders hope to be back in contention for state-wide honors.
Coach: Noel Hansen
Girls Regional Rankings (alphabetically, #1 team in CAPS)
New York Bronxville
Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake
South (AR, LA, MS, OK, TX) Cedar Park (TX)
Clear Lake (TX)
College Park (TX)
Flower Mound (TX)
Highland Park (TX)
SOUTHLAKE CARROLL (TX)
The Woodlands (TX)
Southeast (AL, DE, FL, GA, MD, KY, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV) Assumption (KY)
Bethesda-Chevy Chase (MD)
Colonial Forge (VA)
Green Hope (NC)
Lake Braddock (VA)
Midwest (IL, IN, MI, MO, OH) Carmel (IN)
Columbus North (IN)
Grosse Point South (MI)
Lee’s Summit West (MO)
Naperville North (IL)
NEW TRIER (IL)
St. Charles East (IL)
Wheaton Warrenville So (IL)
Heartland (IA, KS, MN, NE, ND, SD, WI) Arrowhead (WI)
Dowling Catholic (IA)
Eden Prairie (MN)
Lakeville South (MN)
Pleasant Valley (IA)
Wichita Carroll (KS)
Southwest (AZ, CO, NV, NM, UT, WY) Classical (CO)
Desert Vista (AZ)
FORT COLLINS (CO)
Los Alamos (NM)
Mountain Vista (CO)
Park City (UT)
Xavier Prep (AZ)