When he came to the podium on Tuesday afternoon, Houston Texans interim coach Wade Phillips said he wasn't sure if he was allowed to wish us all a Merry Christmas, but he planned to do it anyway.
He arrived after a short jog-through the Texans held on Tuesday so that the team could have Wednesday off. Being so close to a game, Phillips preferred to do that rather than push players' bodies.
For your reading pleasure as you do regular holiday things like argue with relatives and watch NBA games (just me?), I present 10 random things about the Texans.
1. The Texans signed running back Ray Graham, a rookie out of Pittsburgh who spent training camp in Houston, on Tuesday as well as fullback Toben Opurum, a rookie out of Kansas. This to help solve their running back woes.
2. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph and running back Deji Karim were placed on injured reserve, joining the pretty good team the Texans have stored on that list. Joseph becomes the team's fourth Pro Bowler on IR.
3. Andre Johnson's favorite Christmas present growing up was a Miami Dolphins/Dan Marino jersey/helmet/pants set he got when he was 6 or 7 years old. J.J. Watt's was a cocker spaniel puppy named Chewy.
4. Watt told Kristie Rieken of the Associated Press he might have plastic surgery to fix his nose, rather than continue to look like one of Dr. Frankenstein's creatures, which his mother hates.
5. With half a sack on Sunday, Watt would join Mario Williams as the second player in franchise history with back-to-back seasons with double-digit sacks.
6. Defensive end Antonio Smith gave the rest of his defensive linemen cowboy boots for Christmas. "I wanted to make sure they all knew how to cowboy up. I didn't want to be the only one." He was concerned that Terrell McClain wouldn't wear them because McClain has never worn boots.
8. Johnson wants to forget about this season as fast as possible -- after winning. He's not sure that's realistic, though, given that he still remembers his other 2-14 season.
9. T.J. Yates is not going to start this week. At this point, Phillips said, it wouldn't really work. Yates hasn't played in months, and chemistry was a problem even with throwing Matt Schaub back into the game.
10. Speaking of Schaub, he needs 8 passing yards to reach 23,000 with the Texans. He'll start again if Case Keenum can't go.