Colts Camp Report: Day 8
August, 1, 2014
By Mike Wells | ESPN.com
ANDERSON, Ind. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Indianapolis Colts training camp:
- Cornerback Greg Toler made the play of the day in practice Friday. With the offense running the two-minute offense, quarterback Andrew Luck tried to get off a quick pass in the flat, but Toler leaped in the air to pick it off and promptly returned it more than 90 yards for a touchdown. Toler's defensive teammates ran the length of the field to celebrate with him in the end zone. Toler, in excitement, tossed the football over the fence to a fan. A ball boy retrieved the ball and was immediately booed by the fans in the area.
- Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton, just like last season, won't have a full cupboard to work with during the regular season. But unlike last season when the Colts got to Week 1 before losing any players, the season-ending injuries have already started. Hamilton had hoped to have Vick Ballard to work with in the backfield with Trent Richardson and Ahmad Bradshaw and veteran Donald Thomas to help a young interior offensive line. Ballard (Achilles) and Thomas (quad) -- like last season -- have already been lost for the season. "We've had to recalibrate," said Hamilton, who is in his second season as the Colts offensive coordinator. "We still have a lot of training camp, so in time I think it'll all take care of itself. The front line, the continuity of that group, is still a work in progress. As we said before, at some point in time, we'll probably need all of the above to step in and step up and make plays for us. It's the nature of the beast."
- The answer to who is the leader of the pack to start alongside LaRon Landry -- whenever he gets on the field -- at safety is still unknown. The Colts have given Delano Howell, Sergio Brown, Mike Adams and Colt Anderson snaps with the first team in an attempt to get closer to an answer. "They're all in the mix right now," defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said. "I don't think anyone has set anybody higher than the other. We're kind of filtering in those three guys of four guys in with the first unit to see who will actually make the strides. When you get to the preseason games of course that holds a little bit more because they're going against live action."
- As expected, rookie Jack Mewhort worked extensively with the first team at left guard now that Thomas has been lost for the season. Veteran right tackle Gosder Cherilus was given the day off. Joe Reitz, who can play tackle and guard, got Cherilus' snaps with the first team. Receiver Reggie Wayne, Landry, defensive lineman Cory Redding and linebacker Jerrell Freeman were also given the day off by coach Chuck Pagano.
- The Colts will have a walk-through practice that's closed to the public from 9:30-10:50 a.m. and an afternoon that is open to public from 1:50-4:25 p.m.