Jaguars Camp Report: Day 8
August, 2, 2014
By Michael DiRocco | ESPN.com
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Jacksonville Jaguars training camp.
- The Jaguars scrimmaged at EverBank Field on Saturday night, and it was a good night for the quarterbacks. Chad Henne completed 14 of 22 for 75 yards and rookie Blake Bortles completed 9 of 13 for 79 yards and one touchdown. Bortles worked exclusively with the second-team offense and was on the field for two touchdowns. The offense was working on the red zone and started a drive at the 3-yard line, and Bortles rolled to his right and passed up a throw on the goal line to tight end Reggie Jordan and instead found tight end D.J. Tialavea in the back of the end zone.
- Five of 12 incompletions that Henne and Bortles had were because of drops. Marqise Lee, Allen Hurns, Kerry Taylor, Lamaar Thomas and Jordan Todman dropped passes. "We’ve got to capture those opportunities," coach Gus Bradley said. "Things like that can happen when you come in the stadium. That’s where we’ve got to calm the world down and just got to make the plays that they’re accustomed to making."
- The Jaguars have been solid in the two-minute drill during the first week of camp, but it wasn’t pretty on Saturday night. Henne and Bortles each got a series, and there were three drops (Todman, Taylor and Thomas) and three passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage by Sen'Derrick Marks, Andre Branch and Tyson Alualu.
- Mike Brown led all receivers with five catches for 55 yards. Taylor had four catches for 28 yards, and Hurns was the only other receiver to catch three passes.
- Rookie tight end Brandon Barden made a case to be the leader in the battle to be the Jaguars’ third tight end. He caught three passes for 20 yards.
- Todman was the leading rusher, gaining 16 yards on five carries. Denard Robinson ran three times for 0 yards and a touchdown. Rookie Storm Johnson carried five times for 5 yards and a touchdown. Each of his carries went for 1 yard. The running game wasn’t particularly effective but that was partly due to the controlled conditions, which included no tackling, but Bradley was optimistic. "I saw some movement off the ball, especially down in the red zone," he said. "So I’m sure we’ll look at those things and see, but that’s what preseason is for."
- Running back Toby Gerhart was given the night off because of minor tightness in his leg but is expected to be back on the practice field on Monday. Other players who did not participate because of injuries were receiver Tandon Doss (ankle), receiver Cecil Shorts (hamstring), linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) receiver Allen Robinson (hamstring), cornerback Alan Ball (ankle), linebacker Dekoda Watson (groin), guard Brandon Linder (foot) and tight end Clay Harbor (calf).
- Kicker Josh Scobee is already in midseason form. He kicked field goals of 54, 27 and 36 yards. Kasey Redfern missed a 35-yard attempt wide right but hit a 51-yarder.
- The Jaguars added three players earlier in the day, signing rookie receiver Kenny Shaw, veteran linebacker Josh Hull and veteran defensive tackle David Carter. Hull has played in 35 games with the St. Louis Rams, and Carter appeared in 32 games with Arizona. To make room on the roster the Jaguars put linebacker John Lotulelei (knee), receiver Damian Copeland (wrist) and defensive tackle Jordan Miller (knee) on the waived/injured list.
- The Jaguars are off on Sunday and return to the practice field on Monday at 9:55 a.m. ET.