Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Final update: KC can clinch playoff spot
By Adam Teicher
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- I graduated from Michigan State, which in most cases qualifies one for genius status. That doesn't apply in my case, and smarter minds than my own at the NFL have indeed figured out that the Kansas City Chiefs can clinch a playoff spot this weekend.
In every case, they need to beat the Denver Broncos on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. If that happens, here are the various scenarios that can put the Chiefs in the postseason:
1. San Diego loss or tie (at home vs. Cincinnati) plus Tennessee loss or tie (at Indianapolis) plus Jets loss (at home vs. Miami) plus Baltimore loss (at home vs. Pittsburgh).
2. San Diego loss or tie plus Tennessee loss or tie, Miami loss plus New England loss (at Houston).
3. San Diego loss or tie plus Tennessee loss or tie plus Miami-Jets tie.
4. San Diego loss or tie plus Tennessee loss or tie plus Baltimore-Pittsburgh tie.
5. San Diego loss or tie plus Miami loss plus New England loss plus Baltimore-Pittsburgh tie.
6. San Diego loss or tie plus Miami-Jets tie plus Baltimore-Pittsburgh tie.
7. Tennessee loss or tie plus Miami-Jets tie plus Baltimore-Pittsburgh tie.
So there are a few ways the Chiefs can clinch a playoff spot. I'm going to throw out the ones requiring a tie as unrealistic and focus on the first two scenarios. Neither of those are likely to happen, but stranger things have happened on a single NFL weekend than the Bengals beating the Chargers, the Colts beating the Titans, the Dolphins beating the Jets and the Steelers beating the Ravens, as required under scenario No. 1 above.
Of course, any of these scenarios require the Chiefs to beat the Broncos. The way they've been playing, is that the most unrealistic expectation of all?