Game-time updates: USC-ASU
September, 24, 2011
By Pedro Moura | ESPNLosAngeles.com
An hour and a half before kickoff at Sun Devil Stadium, Arizona State's student section was already fairly full. The Sun Devils planned a so-called gold-out with fans in attendance at Saturday's game.
We're just about set to go at Sun Devil Stadium for the much-anticipated matchup between the Trojans and Sun Devils. Here are a couple of last-minute things worthy of an update before kickoff:
- First off, the kickoff time has been pushed back a bit from 7:15 to 7:26 p.m. to accommodate TV scheduling on ESPN. The projected temperature at that time is 100 degrees. Saturday's high in the Phoenix area was 107.
- It's ASU middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict's 21st birthday, which Arizona State student section signs astutely noted pregame. Burfict, a junior out of Corona Centennial near Los Angeles, has been the topic of much conversation with the Trojans this week and stands to dominate the team's in-game focus Saturday as well.
- USC middle linebacker Lamar Dawson, a true freshman, did not make the trip to Tempe, meaning the Trojans will have to rely on former walk-on Will Andrew as Chris Galippo's primary backup Saturday. Galippo has typically played all three downs so far this season, so it will be interesting to see if USC shuffles around its nickel packages to incorporate more of Dion Bailey.
- Arizona State safety Eddie Elder, questionable heading into the game after suffering a concussion, is slated to start for the Sun Devils. Starting running back Cameron Marshall has an ankle injury and is warming up with the team but does not look 100 percent.
- Jersey updates: USC is wearing white socks for the first time this season after sporting black socks at each of the three home games. Arizona State is in all maroon uniforms.
Join us here on the USC Report on ESPNLA.com at 7 p.m. PT as Arash Markazi and I keep you updated throughout the game in Trojans Live!, a full-blown interactive chat.