Kirby Lee/US Presswire
Ronald Belisario pitching in Game 2 of the 2009 National League Championship Series.
Ronald Belisario has been ruled out for the Opening Day roster by Joe Torre, reports Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Most of what I read about Belisario chides him for blowing this opportunity and letting down the Dodgers and their fans. But absent a rational explanation for what has happened, I still can't help thinking that the bigger issue is a serious problem that we should be concerned with instead of critical of.
That might make me sound soft, and if he's being a flake just to be a flake, I'll adjust my reaction accordingly. But I'm just having trouble imagining why Belisario would willfully self-sabotage. Right now, I'm still in the position of hoping Belisario makes it back, mentally as well as internationally.
* * *
- I'm scheduled to be a guest on KSPN 710 AM at 1:40 p.m., interviewed by Andrew Siciliano and Mychal Thompson. (That link will also take you to Molly Knight's interview with the pair from Thursday.
- In case you missed it, Ronnie Belliard made weight and is now an official 2010 Dodger, reports Dylan Hernandez of the Times.
- Ben Badler of Baseball America joins the groundswell of praise for prospect Allen Webster, a fave of Dodger Thoughts and Maple Street Press Annual prospect expert CanuckDodger.
- Steven Goldman, writing at ESPN's TMI blog, wonders if the failure of Joba Chamberlain to make the Yankee starting rotation will represent a tipping point for over-protecting young arms.
- Forty years ago today: "Next Stop for Steve Garvey Is Third Base at Dodger Stadium" (via the Daily Mirror).
- The Pawnee Parks and Recreation Summer Catalog is a must-peruse.