Dodger Thoughts: Spalding Gray
Fire when ready, Gridley ...
- The Dodgers re-signed Trent Oeltjen to a minor-league contract, reports Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com (among other notes).
- Former Dodger manager Jim Tracy, now with Colorado, is recovering from a mild arrhythmia that caused him to collapse shortly after midnight Tuesday. The Associated Press has details.
- Clayton Kershaw is married! Check out the pictures at Vin Scully Is My Homeboy.
- More great news: Longtime friend of Dodger Thoughts Jay Jaffe has been voted into the Baseball Writers Association of America.
- This book, A Brief History of American Sports, was co-authored by Elliott J. Gorn, whom I took "Sport in American Life" from at Stanford when he was a visiting professor 21 years ago.
- I like these Dodgers-Fritos collectibles featuring Larry Sherry and Charley Neal, showcased by Blue Heaven.
- Who are the 50 best players not in the Hall of Fame? Baseball Past & Present offers a list, based on the vote of 63 people including Josh Wilker of Cardboard Gods.
- King Kaufman argues for the value of being average.
- Alex Belth of Bronx Banter has the best piece I've seen on Derek Jeter this offseason.
- Longtime Dodger Thoughts readers might recall how big a fan of Spalding Gray I've been. Stephen Soderbergh has a new documentary about the monologist/actor, writes David Ng at Culture Monster. LACMA will screen it Monday.