Dodger Thoughts: Tommervik
Some midweek news and notes ...
- Best friend of Dodger Thoughts and ESPN reporter Molly Knight and her friend and fellow ESPN contributing writer Anna Katherine Clemmons have had the story of their cross-country road trip (which began as fodder for a magazine article) optioned for a movie. My Variety colleague Jeff Sneider has the details.
- Larry King is reportedly joining the Dennis Gilbert-headed group bidding to by the Dodgers, reports Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
- Hank Aaron inquired whether Medallion Financial Corp., on which he serves on the board of directors, might make a bid to by the Dodgers, according to Bill Shaikin of the Times. The answer: No.
- A bow-hunting trip (no, not the kind where you hunt Ken Rosenthal's ties) with Royals outfielder Jeff Francoeur and manager Ned Yost helped lure Jonathan Broxton to Kansas City, writes Kevin Kernan of the New York Post (via Hardball Talk).
- Jim Breen of Fangraphs takes a closer look at Kenley Jansen's dominant fastball, an interesting piece given what we've heard of Jansen's eventual desire to emulate Mariano Rivera. "The 24-year-old not only threw approximately 87% fastballs in 2011, but he also filled up the strike zone," writes Breen. "Only relievers Matt Belisle, Octavio Dotel, and Matt Capps threw more pitches inside the zone than Jansen. So opposing hitters knew which pitch he was going to throw and knew that it would more than likely be within the strike zone, but opposing hitters still struck out 44% of the time."
- Here are some childhood photos of Clayton Kershaw with longtime buddy Matthew Stafford, the Detroit Lions quarterback.
- And, here's a great prep school picture of birthday boy Vin Scully via Tom Hoffarth of the Daily News.
- Some nifty portraits accompany this interview by Ernest Reyes of Blue Heaven with artist Tommervik.
- Evan Bladh looks back at the 2003 Dodgers at Opinion of Kingman's Performance.
- Ken Arneson discusses the two systems of thought with regards to statistics, and how they relate to kids learning to read.
- In a guest post for The Platoon Advantage, Dan Hennessy explains why "the less I hear my team's name associated with free agency, the happier I am."
- Very, very cool skiing and outdoors footage in "Winter," which will screen at the Village in Westwood on Sunday.
- Finally, if you haven't seen "Beginners" with Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, Melanie Laurent and Goran Visnjic, I really recommend it.
BACK TO TOP