Crespi, Harvard-Westlake and Ventura won tournaments over the holiday break. Woodland Hills Taft lost its first and second games of the season. Thousand Oaks lost its first game of the season. The Southern Section teams begin league play this week. The City Section teams start their league seasons next week.
1. (2) Crespi (12-3) – Crespi has won nine games in a row including the championship game of the Marin Catholic Tournament. The Celts beat University from Irvine, 69-52, to win the Marin Catholic Tournament. Matt Mounier scored 35 points in the championship game and earned MVP of the tournament.
2. (5) Harvard-Westlake (11-2) – Harvard-Westlake won the Invitational Division of the Desert Heat Invitational. Josh Hearlihy won the tournament MVP. Zena Edosomeone and Jordan Butler earned spots on the all-tournament team. The Wolverines have won eight games in a row, including the 65-57 win over Silverado from Nevada in the championship game of the Desert Heat Invitational.
3. (1) Woodland Hills Taft (12-2) – Taft lost its first two games of the season in the Torrey Pines Tournament in San Diego. The Toreadors ended the tournament on a winning note, beating Corona Del Mar, 65-53, in the seventh-place game. Kevin Johnson led the way with 20 points and 12 rebounds against Corona Del Mar.
4. (8) Thousand Oaks (13-1) – Thousand Oaks lost its first game of the season, 60-52, to Capistrano Valley in the championship game of the Desert Heat Invitational. Richard Mullaney and Anthony Jacques earned spots on the all-tournament team.
5. (5) Ventura (14-1) – Ventura won its own tournament, beating Canyon, 56-36, in the championship game. Dylan Houck was the tournament MVP and scored 11 points in the championship game against Canyon. Jared Wilson made the all-tournament team for the Cougars, who have won 12 games in a row.
6. (3) Simi Valley (9-4) – Simi Valley reached the championship game of the American Division at the Desert Heat Invitational and lost to Edison, 68-48. Jesse DiNonno and Jonathon Davis made the all-tournament team. The loss to Edison snapped a six-game winning streak for the Pioneers.
7. (6) Alemany (9-4) – After losing to Valencia in overtime in the quarterfinals of the Oaks Christian Holiday Classic, Alemany bounced back and beat a highly touted Price team, 59-55, in the seventh-place game.
8. (7) Paraclete (11-3) – Paraclete went 2-2 in the Mayor’s Division of the Torrey Pines Tournament. Paraclete beat Bishop’s from La Jolla and Fallbrook. The Spirits lost to Chaparral from Temecula on the first day of the tournament and to Catalina Foothills from Arizona on the last day of the tournament.
9. (9) Valencia (7-4) – Valencia lost its last two games of the Oaks Christian Holiday Classic, the second one in overtime, 66-58, against Sacramento in the third-place game. The Vikings reached the semifinals and lost to Loyola, 66-59. Lonnie Jackson scored 24 points against Sacramento and earned a spot on the all-tournament team.
10. (NR) Loyola (8-3) – Loyola reached the championship game of the Oaks Christian Holiday Classic before losing to undefeated Etiwanda, 70-61. The Cubs won seven games in a row before losing to Etiwanda. Julian Harrell scored 17 points for Loyola in the championship game against Etiwanda. Jacob Hazzard also scored 17 points off the bench.