LA North: Boys basketball final top 10
March, 28, 2011
By Tim Haddock | ESPNLosAngeles.com
- La Canada (30-4) – The La Canada boys made one of the more impressive runs through the CIF playoffs. They advanced to the CIF Southern California Divison III regional final and lost to La Verne Lutheran, which went on to win the Division III state championship. The La Canada boys were exciting to watch, too. They won the Southern Section Divison 3AA championship by three points over Price and won their second-round game in the Division III Southern California Regional by one point over Crespi.
- Woodland Hills Taft (29-3) – Taft could easily be the No. 1 team in the LA North. The Toreadors won the CIF City Section Division I championship and advanced to the semifinals of the CIF Southern California Division I regional playoffs. Taft’s playoff run ended prematurely. This talented group should have at least been in the Division I Southern California regional final. Still, it was a great season for Taft.
- Ventura (30-3) – The Ventura boys ran into a red-hot Fontana Summit team in the CIF Southern California Division II regional playoffs. The No. 2 seed in the Southern California regional lost its second-round game to 10th seeded Fontana Summit. Summit made an unlikely run to the Division II state championship game and lost to Archbishop Mitty from Northern California. Ventura won the Southern Section Division 2AA championship, 56-55, over Mission Viejo.
- Loyola (26-6) – The Loyola boys reached the second round of the CIF Southern California Division I regional playoffs, losing to eventual state champion Mater Dei. Loyola won the Southern Section Division 1A title, 74-58, over Capistrano Valley.
- Harvard-Westlake (29-5) – The Harvard-Westlake boys reached the semifinals of the CIF Southern California Division III regional playoffs, losing to La Verne Lutheran. The Wolverines won the Southern Section Divison 3A championship, 47-45, over Inglewood.
- Sierra Canyon (27-6) – Sierra Canyon reached the championship game of the CIF Southern Californa Division V playoffs, losing a heartbreaker to St. Bernard, 61-59. St. Bernard’s Thurman Thomas hit the game-winner at the buzzer to eliminate a Sierra Canyon team that was dominating the game until the final minutes. The Trailblazers won the Southern Section Division 5A championshiop, 48-45, over Montclair Prep.
- Montclair Prep (25-10) – The Montclair Prep boys made a nice run through the playoffs, despite losing the Southern Section Division 5A championship to Sierra Canyon. The Mounties reached the semifinals of the Division V Southern California Regional, losing to St. Bernard, which went on to win the Southern California Regional.
- Oaks Christian (26-8) – The Oaks Christian boys earned the top seed and reached the final of the CIF Southern California Division IV regional, losing to eventual state champion Windward. The Lions won the Southern Section Division 4A championship, 66-48, over Buckley.
- Flintridge Prep (24-7) – Flintridge Prep reached the second round of the CIF Southern California Division V regional and lost to St. Bernard. Flintridge Prep won the Southern Section Division 5AA championship, 47-44, over Muir.
- Chatsworth (25-10) -- The Chatsworth boys won their first-round game in the CIF Southern California Division III regional playoffs, 74-66, over Palm Springs before losing to Harvard-Westlake in the second round. Chatsworth won the CIF City Section Division 3 championship, 66-61 over Garfield.