Monday, September 5, 2011
IE: The top 10
By Dan Arritt
With four teams in the top 10 sitting out Week 0, this poll can be referred to as the preseason 1A rankings. Still, a lot was learned about the teams that did play and, for the most part, it was all positive.
1. (1) Corona Centennial, 0-0 -- The Huskies haven’t played yet but their preseason opponents are already 0-2. First up: vs. Ventura St. Bonaventure, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
2. (2) Rancho Cucamonga, 1-0 -- Silverado was missing a few key players when it took on Rancho Cucamonga in the season opener. The Hawks could have had Matt Barkley behind center and it probably wouldn’t have mattered. Last week: Beat Silverado, 52-0. Next: vs. Great Oak at Los Osos HS, Friday, 7 p.m.
3. (3) Norco, 0-0 -- The Cougars were also idle last weekend but not sitting at home. They took advantage of an opportunity to watch their first opponent, Los Angeles Crenshaw, get beaten up Saturday by Alta (Utah), 45-14. Next. vs. Crenshaw, Friday, 7 p.m.
4. (5) Vista Murrieta, 0-0 -- Another powerhouse that chose to sit out Week 0. Good idea because the Broncos will have a tough enough time trying to figure a way to slow Etiwanda’s offense. Next: vs. Etiwanda at Colony HS, Friday, 7 p.m.
5. (6) Upland, 1-0 -- San Bernardino wasn’t expected to put up much of a fight against the Highlanders and the Cardinals obliged. Last week: Beat San Bernardino, 63-14. Next: at Tustin, Thursday, 7 p.m.
6. (7) Redlands East Valley, 0-0 -- Another team that sat idly last weekend as its first opponent got smashed. Compton Dominguez will have plenty to prove against the Wildcats after getting run over by Encino Crespi, 48-6. Next. vs. Dominguez at Citrus Valley HS, Friday, 7 p.m.
7. (NR) Cajon, 1-0 -- Not sure if Cajon is better than expected or Chaparral is just worse, but the Cowboys were clearly the better team Friday night. Last week: Beat Chaparral, 30-14. Next: at Eisenhower, Friday, 7 p.m.
8. (8) Chino, 1-0 -- The Cowboys won their season opener against Diamond Ranch without head coach Matt McCain, who was suspended for the week for “undue influence” regarding a letter sent to incoming freshman at the start of summer. Last week: Beat Diamond Ranch, 41-28. Next: vs. Pomona, Friday, 7 p.m.
9. (9) Rancho Verde, 1-0 -- The Mustangs posted just one shutout in 14 games last season but got started early this time around. Last week: Beat West Valley, 49-0. Next: vs. San Gorgonio, Friday, 7 p.m.
10. (10) Elsinore, 1-0 -- Elsinore put to rest any idea of an upset by Chula Vista Otay Ranch, scoring 23 unanswered points in the third quarter Friday night. Last week: Beat Otay Ranch, 44-21. Next: vs. M.L. King, Friday, 7 p.m.
Dropped out: Chaparral.
Just missed: Etiwanda, Temecula Valley, J.W. North, Roosevelt, San Gorgonio, Heritage.