Sunday, September 11, 2011
IE: The Top 10
By Dan Arritt
Week 1 is in the books and the Inland Empire dished out some good wins against out-of-the-area teams, but suffered one humbling loss when St. Bonaventure traveled from Ventura to Corona and knocked off Centennial, the defending Inland Division champion. One thing is becoming crystal clear, there's a lot more parity in the I.E. this season.
1. (1) Centennial, 0-1 – The Huskies were run over by St. Bonaventure, 29-27, their second straight loss dating to last season. They hadn’t lost two in row since dropping the final game of 2003 and the first game of 2004. Next: vs. Mater Dei at Santa Ana Stadium, Friday.
2. (2) Rancho Cucamonga, 2-0 – The Cougars have yet to allow a point this season after defeating Great Oak, 35-0. Next: At Pasadena Muir, Friday.
3. (3) Norco, 1-0 – Norco woke up just in time to beat Crenshaw, 21-20, getting a five-yard touchdown run by Joseph Ajeijbe with 6 ½ minutes remaining. Next: vs. Etiwanda at Colony HS, Friday.
4. (5) Upland, 2-0 – The Highlanders didn’t have any trouble moving the ball against Tustin, the second-ranked team in the Southern Division, rolling up 365 yards of offense in a 31-20 victory. Next: At Serrano, Friday.
5. (4) Vista Murrieta, 1-0 – The Broncos blew a 28-7 lead but Tyler Rausa saved them with a 38-year field goal as time expired in a 31-28 victory against Etiwanda. Next: vs. Corona Santiago, Friday.
6. (6) Redlands East Valley, 1-0 – The Wildcats routed Dominguez, 30-0, but it’s still a toss up whether they’re really good, or Dominguez is just really bad. Next: At San Gorgonio, Friday.
7. (9) Rancho Verde, 2-0 – The Mustangs took a step up in competition from their season opener and still won convincingly, knocking off San Gorgonio, 37-10. They’ll take another step up this week. Next: At Heritage, Friday.
8. (NR) Etiwanda, 1-1 – Seldom does a team lose and then enter the top 10, but Etiwanda’s near loss to Vista Murrieta, coupled with their Week 0 win against Summit, and the Eagles have proved they belong. Next: vs. Norco at Colony HS, Friday.
9. (7) Cajon, 2-0 – The Cowboys had no problem in a 52-0 victory against Eisenhower, but their Week 0 victory against Chaparral doesn’t look as impressive as the Pumas lost for the second week in a row. Next: vs. Kaiser, Friday.
10. (10) Elsinore, 2-0 – Allan Stubbs and Daniel Rodriguez combined for 351 rushing yards and three touchdowns in 27-3 victory against M.L. King. Next: vs. Diamond Ranch, Friday.
Dropped out: Chino.
Just missed: Temecula Valley, J.W. North, Kaiser, Heritage, Summit, Chino Hills, Roosevelt, Palm Springs, Serrano.