Monday, September 19, 2011
L.A. North: The Top 10
By Tim Haddock
Alemany blew a 14-point lead in the second half and lost a tough road game to J.W. North in Riverside. As a result, the Warriors dropped a couple of spots in the area top 10 rankings.
Westlake and Crespi posted impressive wins and moved up a couple of notches.
Thousand Oaks pulled out a thrilling, 27-24, last-second win over Moorpark and knocked the Musketeers out of the top 10.
Quartz Hill is barely hanging on to a top-10 spot after an embarrassing, 35-7, loss on the road to Bakersfield.
Here’s a look at the LA North top 10:
(1) Oaks Christian (1-1) – The Lions won their first game in a big way. Oaks Christian beat Agoura, 50-11, in the Marmonte League opener. Running back Ishmael Adams rushed for 121 yards and two touchdowns.
(2) St. Bonaventure (2-0) – The Seraphs shut out Royal, 59-0, behind quarterback Marc Evans. He threw for 330 yards and four touchdowns in the Marmonte League opener for both teams. Next up for St. Bonaventure is Oaks Christian on Friday night. Oaks Christian beat St. Bonaventure, 33-32, last season.
(4) Crespi (2-0) – The Celts traveled to Fresno for a tough game against Clovis West and won, 42-28. Quarterback Cody Cordell threw five touchdown passes for Crespi.
(5) Westlake (2-0) – The Warriors shut out Calabasas, 63-0, in their Marmonte League opener. Justin Moore threw three touchdown passes and ran for a fourth touchdown.
(3) Alemany (2-1) – The Warriors lost for the first time this season, a surprising, 36-35, setback to J.W. North in Riverside. Alemany had its 15-game regular-season winning streak snapped.
(6) Chaminade (2-0) – The Eagles beat Valencia, 14-10, but had to rally with two touchdowns in the second half to do it. Terrell Newby scored both touchdowns but was held to 73 yards in 24 carries.
(7) Canyon (2-0) – The Cowboys showed no mercy against Knight in a 56-7 win. Quarterback Joanathan Jerozal threw four touchdown passes, three to receiver Drew Wolitarsky.
(10) Sheman Oaks Notre Dame (3-0) – The Knights had little trouble against Woodland Hills Taft, 35-0. Running back Khalfani Muhammad rushed for 128 yards and a touchdown.
(NR) Thousand Oaks (2-0) – Jamie Sutcliffe hit a 40-yard field goal with no time left in regulation to give Thousand Oaks a 27-24 win over Moorpark. Sutcliffe was 2-for-5 in field-goal attempts, but hit the game-winner.
(9) Quartz Hill (1-1) – The Rebels lost, 35-7, to Bakersfield. Quartz Hill gave up three second-half touchdowns. Osirius Burke scored the only touchdown for Quartz Hill in the second quarter.