Monday, September 26, 2011
L.A. North: The Top 10
By Tim Haddock
Oaks Christian took care of business and beat St. Bonaventure by 12 points in a match-up of two of the top teams in Southern California. The Lions maintain the top spot in the L.A. North rankings and St. Bonaventure drops to No. 5.
Two newcomers to the L.A. North top 10: St. Francis and Ventura. Both teams are undefeated and both face tough challenges on Friday night.
St. Francis goes up against an undefeated West Ranch team from the Foothill League.
Ventura plays Camarillo and receiver Jake Maulhardt, who set the state record with 28 catches against Canyon in a 52-28 loss. Maulhardt had 347 receiving yards and scored three touchdowns.
Here is a look at the top 10:
(1) Oaks Christian (2-1) -- Much of the attention in Oaks Christian’s 36-24 win over St. Bonaventure was placed on sophomore quarterback Brandon Dawkins, who was making his first varsity start. Defensive end Marcus Jones deserves some attention too. He had three sacks, forced two fumbles and led a defense that forced three turnovers. Next up for Oaks Christian is Calabasas on Friday night.
(3) Crespi (4-0) -- The Celts blanked Palisades, 40-0, to record their second shutout of the season. Crespi is averaging 48.5 points per game and giving up only 8.5 points per game. Next up for Crespi is Vista Murrieta.
(5) Alemany (3-1) -- The Warriors bounced back from a one-point loss to JW North to beat Chaminade, 31-14. Alemany plays Dorsey on Friday night.
(4) Westlake (4-0) -- The Warriors beat Thousand Oaks 38-6 and scored 24 points in the third quarter to blow open the game and take a 35-0 lead. Westlake running back Jarrius Bishop scored two touchdowns. Westlake travels to Royal on Friday night.
(2) St. Bonaventure (2-1) -- The Seraphs lost their first game of the season with the help of a timely power outage in the fourth quarter at Oaks Christian. The stadium lights went out as Oaks Christian was punting with a three-point lead. St. Bonaventure hosts Simi Valley at Ventura High on Friday night.
(7) Canyon (3-0) -- The good news is Canyon crushed Camarillo, 52-28, and receiver Coley Apsay had a breakout game with eight catches for 151 yards and two touchdowns. The bad news is Canyon surrendered a state record 28 receptions to Camarillo receiver Jake Maulhardt. Next up for Canyon is Beverly Hills.
(6) Chaminade (2-1) -- The Eagles lost their first game of the season to Alemany. But there is no shame in losing to a strong Alemany team. Chaminade is on the road to play Mira Costa on Friday night.
(8) Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (4-0) -- The resurgent Knights keep rolling. This time, Notre Dame disposed of Birmingham, 34-12. The Knights' defense is giving up only 9.7 points per game. Next up for Notre Dame is Golden Valley.
(NR) St. Francis (3-0) -- The Golden Knights are coming off a 27-17 win on the road against Venice. St. Francis goes up against another undefeated team in West Ranch (4-0) on Friday night.
(NR) Ventura (4-0) -- The Cougars are coming off a 35-20 win over Nordhoff and shut out Agoura, 38-0, in Week 2. Ventura takes on Camarillo and Maulhardt on Friday night.