Sunday, October 2, 2011
O.C.: The Top 10
There's a change at the bottom of the top 10 as one South Coast League team falls and another wins to get in. Tesoro's loss to winless Chaparral probably wasn't as bad as most think -- Chaparral's schedule is loaded -- but the lack of offense is telling. Trabuco Hills, which is plenty physical, isn't lacking on offense.
1. (1) Servite (4-1) Uncharacteristically surrendered a kick return for a touchdown, and two TDs in the final two minutes of the first half. Can't do that against the No. 10 team in the nation. Last: lost to Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman, 31-28. Next: Idle.
2. (2) Mission Viejo (4-1) The perfect game for the Diablos? Defense was superb, and the offense rolled even though Jahleel Pinner was on the sidelines because of an ankle injury. Last: beat Carson, 31-0. Next: vs. Redlands East Valley at University of Redlands, Friday, 7 p.m.
3. (3) Santa Margarita (5-0) A second-half lull made the score artificially close as QB Johnny Stanton and RB Ryan Wolpin had big nights -- again. Last: beat Los Alamitos 38-27. Next: Idle.
4. (4) Orange Lutheran (5-0) Conner Sullivan unloads four touchdown passes and OLu rolls into its league opener in two weeks against Servite with momentum. Last: beat Redondo, 33-13. Next: Idle.
5. (5) San Clemente (5-0) After an emotional and dramatic victory over Mater Dei a week earlier, Tritons get sloppy -- four turnovers, 165 yards in penalties. Last: beat Newport Harbor, 24-12. Next: vs. West Adams Prep, Saturday, 7 p.m.
6. (6) Mater Dei (1-3) Monarchs avoided an 0-4 start for the first time since the school opened in 1951 with victory on last play, Ryan McMahon to Thomas Duarte for 15 yards. Last: beat Edison, 22-20. Next: vs. Gardena at Santa Ana Stadium, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
7. (7) La Habra (2-3) After two tough battles against their Trinity League gauntlet, the Highlanders get destroyed in the third. Kudos for the ambitious schedule and representing. Last: lost to St. John Bosco, 41-6. Next: Idle.
8. (8) Edison (3-2) Chargers suffer a heartbreaking loss; it's the first time coach Dave White has lost a game on the last play. Last: lost to Mater Dei, 22-20. Next: Idle.
9. (9) Los Alamitos (4-1) A great start and big finish partially salvaged the night, but the Griffins couldn't match Santa Margarita's physical play over the long haul. Last: lost to Santa Margarita, 38-27. Next: Idle.
10. (NR) Trabuco Hills (4-1) Mitchell Simonsen has rushed for 198 yards or more in three of last four games as Mustangs displace Tesoro in the top 10. Last: beat Fountain Valley 28-7. Next: vs. San Juan Hills at Tesoro, Friday, 7:30 p.m.