Sunday, October 16, 2011
O.C.: The Top 10
How high should San Clemente rise after beating Trabuco Hills? Well, the Tritons beat Mater Dei, which beat No. 2 Santa Margarita. Let's see how San Clemente handles being the best team that isn't Servite.
1. (1) Servite (5-1) Friars turned in their best effort of the season, including a stellar performance on defense led by Butch Pauu. Next: vs. JSerra at Cerritos College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
2. (5) San Clemente (7-0) Tritons, after a couple of off weeks, blasted their way to victory in South Coast League opener behind RBs Mike Elespuru and Nick Pasquale. Last: beat Trabuco Hills, 43-14. Next: vs. Dana Hills, Friday, 7 p.m.
3. (3) Mission Viejo (5-2) Despite 18 penalties, the Diablos rolled behind a strong performance from QB Alex Bridgford, who had three TD passes. Last: beat Dana Hills, 48-21. Next: idle.
4. (4) Orange Lutheran (5-1) Salvaged the night with a last-second touchdown, but Lutheran's offense was no match for Servite's defense. Last: lost to Servite, 21-8. Next: vs. Santa Margarita at Saddleback College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
5. (6) Mater Dei (3-3) Monarchs have won three in a row, but who saw the upset coming against the No. 2 team? The defense and QB Ryan McMahon played as if they saw it coming. Last: beat Santa Margarita, 21-14. Next: at St. John Bosco, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
6. (2) Santa Margarita (5-1)
Eagles came out flat, had nothing for Mater Dei in a game they needed to win because they were so highly favored; could it cost them a playoff berth? Last: lost to Mater Dei, 21-14. Next: vs. Orange Lutheran at Saddleback College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
7. (7) La Habra (3-3) Ho-hum, the first of its Freeway League victories is in the books as the Highlanders take first step toward another league title. Last: beat Sunny Hills, 39-0. Next: at Fullerton, Friday, 7 p.m.
8. (8) Edison (4-2) After dropping two in an row to Servite and Mater Dei, the Chargers were ready to withstand what Los Alamitos offered. Last: beat Los Alamitos, 10-7. Next: vs. Marina at Westminster HS, Friday, 7 p.m.
9. (9) Los Alamitos (4-2) Griffins have lost two of three games against teams with winning records. Last: lost to Edison, 10-7. Next: vs. Fountain Valley at Veterans Stadium, Thursday, 7 p.m.
10. (10) Trabuco Hills (5-2) No rest for the weary: after big loss, the Mustangs are faced with a what is essentially a playoff game next week. Last: lost to San Clemente, 43-14. Next: at Tesoro, Friday, 7 p.m.