Sunday, November 6, 2011
O.C.: The Top 10
Santa Margarita jumps Mission Viejo; the Eagles have been more impressive and consistent over the course of the season, and it sets up a 1-2 matchup this week for the Trinity League title. Despite Orange Lutheran's loss to JSerra, there isn't much movement with the Lancers because of wins over La Habra and Mater Dei, which has wins over Santa Margarita and Edison.
1. (1) Servite (8-1) Friars got TD runs of 78 and 52 yards from Charlie Etiaki in his first game back from suffering a broken collarbone. Last: beat Mater Dei, 35-28. Next: vs. Santa Margarita at Cerritos College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
2. (3) Santa Margarita (8-1)
A pair of fourth-quarter stops by the defense allowed the Eagles to hold on to their first victory by fewer than 11 points. Last: beat St. John Bosco, 28-20. Next: vs. Servite at Cerritos College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
3. (2) Mission Viejo (7-2) Diablos clinched a share of their third consecutive league title by grinding out a victory; Buzzy Yokoyama carried 32 times for 157 yards and two TDs. Last: beat Tesoro, 14-7. Next: at Trabuco Hills, Thursday, 7 p.m.
4. (5) San Clemente (8-1) Tritons lost the battle for first place with Mission Viejo, and have had two weeks to prepare for the battle for second place. Last: idle. Next: vs. Tesoro, Thursday, 7 p.m.
5. (4) Orange Lutheran (6-3) Lancers' offense accounted for only one touchdown, and defense gave up 17 points in the fourth quarter; still, better to lose last week instead of next. Last: lost to JSerra, 31-14. Next: at St. John Bosco, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
6. (6) La Habra (6-3) Aaron Porter rushed for 167 yards, but Highlanders scored 10 points below their Freeway League average and led only 17-7 lead going into the fourth quarter. Last: beat Sonora, 30-13. Next: Next: vs. Troy, Thursday, 7 p.m.
7. (7) Mater Dei (3-6) Four of the Monarchs' losses -- all to teams that were ranked in the top 25 at the time -- have been by eight points or fewer. Last: lost to Servite, 35-28. Next: vs. JSerra at Saddleback College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
8. (8) Edison (7-2) Edison trailed by 10 points before a stellar defense and Chase Favreau's two TD passes provided a seventh consecutive victory in the Battle for the Bell. Last: beat Fountain Valley, 14-10. Next: at Newport Harbor, Thursday, 7 p.m.
9. (9) Tesoro (6-3) Titans were undone by a muffed punt at their three-yard line, and a fumble while on the Mission Viejo nine. That's a 14-point swing. Last: lost to Mission Viejo, 14-7. Next: at San Clemente, Thursday, 7 p.m.
10. (10) Huntington Beach (7-2) The Oilers put an exclamation on a terrific season by dropping 58 on one of the county's marquee programs -- after falling behind after one quarter, 13-0. Last: beat Los Alamitos, 58-28. Next: vs. Fountain Valley, Thursday, 7 p.m.