Sunday, November 13, 2011
O.C.: The Top 10 Cody Pittman's pass to Ainslie Johnson for a two-point conversion in overtime gave Servite a 43-42 victory over Santa Margarita in one of the season's great games. Despite the loss, Santa Margarita certainly justified its move up to No. 2 last week.
1. (1) Servite (9-1) Friars got a two-point conversion in overtime to extend Trinity League winning streak to 19 games and polish off a seventh consecutive league title behind behind Cody Pittman, who rushed for 100 yards and passed for 239. Next: vs. Long Beach Wilson at Cerritos College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
2. (2) Santa Margarita (8-2) Johnny Stanton gave Servite all it could handle; he rushed for 133 yards and passed for 275 in a losing effort. Last: lost to Servite, 43-42, in overtime. Next: vs. Bishop Amat at Saddleback College, Friday, 7 p.m.
3. (3) Mission Viejo (8-2) Diablos put the finishing touches on their third consecutive South Coast League title as six different players scored and the first-team defense didn't allow a score. Last: beat Trabuco Hills 42-7. Next: vs. Long Beach Cabrillo, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
4. (4) San Clemente (9-1) Tritons, after losing the league title to Mission Viejo, had two weeks to get ready for Tesoro, then played like they made the most of their practice time. Last: beat Tesoro, 31-6. Next: vs. Lakewood, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
5. (5) Orange Lutheran (6-4) Lancers have victories over La Habra and Mater Dei, but they couldn't keep pace with Bosco's explosive offense though trailing by a touchdown going into the fourth quarter. Last: lost to St. John Bosco, 48-28. Next: Season concluded.
6. (6) La Habra (7-3) The Highlanders were down 24-10 in the third quarter before scoring the final 38 points behind Sean Sparling, Aaron Porter and Brett Bartolone. Last: beat Troy, 48-24. Next: vs. La Palma Kennedy, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
7. (7) Mater Dei (4-6) The Monarchs opponents are a collective 68-32; by comparison, Servite's opponents are 70-30, and it has the state's strongest schedule. Last: beat JSerra, 42-19. Next: Season concluded.
8. (8) Edison (8-2) Edison goes into the playoffs on a roll after getting a complete-ame performance, and two rushing and passing touchdowns from Chase Favreau. Last: beat Newport Harbor, 35-7. Next: vs. Tesoro at Orange Coast College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
9. (9) Tesoro (6-4) Titans, after the emotional loss to Mission Viejo two weeks ago, were dominated by San Clemente. Still, the Titans can make up for it this week. Last: lost to San Clemente, 31-6. Next: vs. Edison at Orange Coast College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
10. (10) Huntington Beach (8-2) The Oilers have looked good in winning two in a row to head into the playoffs, but they will have to look great from here on out. Last: beat Fountain Valley, 30-12. Next: vs. Loyola at L.A. Valley College, Friday, 7 p.m.