Monday, November 21, 2011
O.C.: The Top 10 1. (1) Servite (10-1) Friars got a complete effort in first-round victory; scored on offense (several times), as well as defense (Connor Hoffman interception return) and special teams (Garrett Airey blocked punt return). Last: beat Long Beach Wilson, 41-3. Next: vs. Tesoro at Orange Coast College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
2. (2) Santa Margarita (9-2) Johnny Stanton had another great game, but the hero was sophomore Alex Suchesk, who replaced injured Ryan Wolpin in the third quarter and rushed for 133 yards and two touchdowns. Last: beat Bishop Amat, 45-21. Next: vs. Long Beach Poly at Veterans Stadium, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
3. (3) Mission Viejo (9-2) Diablos scored six touchdowns in the second quarter. Buzzy Yokoyama carried 14 times for 170 yards and three scores. Last: beat Long Beach Cabrillo, 51-22. Next: at Huntington Beach, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
4. (4) San Clemente (10-1) Tritons excelled in every phase as they won their first playoff game since 2005 as Travis Wilson passed for four touchdowns. Last: beat Lakewood, 42-6. Next: at St. John Bosco, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
5. (9) Tesoro (7-4) Just as they did last season, the Titans lost their last two games of the regular season and then upset a more highly regarded opponent in the first round of the Pac-5 playoffs. Last year it was fourth-seeded Bishop Amat; this time, the Sunset League champion. Last: beat Edison, 16-14. Next: vs. Servite at Orange Coast College, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
6. (5) Orange Lutheran (6-4) Lancers have victories over La Habra and Mater Dei. Last: season concluded.
7. (6) La Habra (8-3) The Highlanders are a quarter of the way to winning a fifth consecutive Southern Section title after Brett Bartolone caught two TD passes and returned a kickoff for a score. Last: beat La Palma Kennedy, 47-14. Next: at Brea Olinda, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
8. (7) Mater Dei (4-6) The Monarchs have victories over Santa Margarita and Edison. Last: season concluded.
9. (8) Edison (8-3) Edison scored on Chase Favreau's TD pass with 57 seconds left, then recovered the onside kick, but Favreau had no magic left in his rocket arm. Last: lost to Tesoro, 16-14. Next: season concluded.
10. (10) Huntington Beach (9-2) Along with Tesoro, the Oilers provide the division one of its biggest upsets. Michael Chislock ran for a touchdown and, down 14-10, passed for two more. Last: beat Loyola, 31-21. Next: vs. Mission Viejo, Friday, 7:30 p.m.