Sunday, December 4, 2011
O.C.: The top 10
El Toro's victory over La Habra moves the Chargers into the top 10, at the expense of Huntington Beach, which beat El Toro in the season opener. Despite Tesoro's victory over Servite two weekends ago, it's hard to believe that Servite would have lost to San Clemente by five touchdowns with a championship berth on the line.
1. (1) Santa Margarita (11-2) Eagles went 70 yards with the game in the balance as Johnny Stanton scored with 62 seconds left, and Ryan Wolpin rushed for two touchdowns as Santa Margarita reached a section final for the first time since 1998. Last: beat Mission Viejo, 21-20. Next: vs. San Clemente at Angel Stadium, Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
2. (2) Mission Viejo (10-3) A lost fumble at the Santa Margarita one-yard line before halftime was a killer, even though Doug Ruggles' fumble return for a TD, and interception at the Santa Margarita 22 had the Diablos positioned for victory in the fourth quarter. Last: lost to Santa Margarita, 21-20. Next: season concluded.
3. (3) San Clemente (12-1) Tritons rolling through the playoffs; in last four games against three playoff teams (Tesoro twice, Lakewood, St. John Bosco), their average score is 42-13. Last: beat Tesoro, 51-16. Next: vs. Santa Margarita at Angel Stadium, Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
4. (5) Servite (10-2) Friars have victories over Bishop Amat, La Habra, Edison, Orange Lutheran, St. John Bosco, Mater Dei and Santa Margarita. Last: season concluded.
5. (4) Tesoro (8-5) A week after the biggest victory in school history, Titans fail to back up the performance; suffer worst defeat since Mission Viejo piled on, 60-14, in 2009. Last: lost to San Clemente, 51-16. Next: season concluded.
6. (6) Orange Lutheran (6-4) Lancers have victories over La Habra and Mater Dei. Last: season concluded.
7. (NR) El Toro (12-1) Conner Manner passed 465 yards and Jacob Furnari rushed for four touchdowns to lead the Chargers to their first marquee victory of the season. Last: beat La Habra, 47-41. Next: vs. Tustin at Angel Stadium, Saturday, 2 p.m.
8. (7) La Habra (9-4) The Highlanders made a furious comeback from 41-13 deficit with 13 minutes left, but the pursuit of a fifth consecutive championship falls short. Last: lost to El Toro, 47-41. Next: season concluded.
9. (8) Mater Dei (4-6) The Monarchs have victories over Santa Margarita and Edison. Last: season concluded.
10. (9) Edison (8-3) The Chargers have victories over Huntington Beach, Los Alamitos and Newport Harbor. Last: season concluded.