Monday, December 19, 2011
O.C.: The final Top 10
With Santa Margarita's victory at the Home Depot Center, the season is officially over. Despite their loss to Mater Dei in the Trinity League opener, the Eagles are an easy choice for No. 1. After that it gets a little tougher, mostly because of Servite's stunning loss to Tesoro in the second round; all year long the Friars were the best team, and had a victory over Santa Margarita to prove it. If they were to play next week, most people would still expect a Servite victory; nevertheless, we're flipping Servite and Tesoro to reflect the Titans' head-to-head victory even though Servite's body of work is superior. Upon reflection, the lower part of the ranking gets an adjustment as well. For kicks, we added an additional five teams to the end-of-the-year rankings.
1. (1) Santa Margarita (13-2) Eagles QB Johnny Stanton passed for four touchdowns and ran for two more, the last with 16 seconds left on fourth down, to win the State Division I Bowl Championship. Despite the so-called "bad" loss to Mater Dei, Eagles have victories over Tesoro, Carson, Los Alamitos, Trabuco Hills, Orange Lutheran, St. John Bosco, Bishop Amat, Long Beach Poly, Mission Viejo and San Clemente. Last: beat San Jose Bellarmine 42-36.
2. (2) Mission Viejo (10-3) Diablos have victories over Long Beach Poly, Carson, San Clemente, Tesoro, Trabuco Hills and Huntington Beach.
3. (3) San Clemente (12-2) Tritons have victories over Carlsbad La Costa Canyon, Mater Dei, Newport Harbor, Trabuco Hills, Tesoro (twice), Lakewood and St. John Bosco.
4. (5) Tesoro (8-5) Titans have victories over Hart, Narbonne, Trabuco Hills, Edison and Servite.
5. (4) Servite (10-2) Friars have victories over Oceanside, Bishop Amat, La Habra, Edison, Orange Lutheran, St. John Bosco, Mater Dei and Santa Margarita.
6. (6) Orange Lutheran (6-4) Lancers have victories over South Jordan (UT) Bingham, Los Osos, Tustin, La Habra and Mater Dei.
7. (8) Mater Dei (4-6) Monarchs have victories over Santa Margarita and Edison.
8. (9) Edison (8-3) Chargers have victories over Huntington Beach, Los Alamitos and Newport Harbor.
9. (NR) Huntington Beach (9-3) Oilers beat El Toro, Foothill, Newport Harbor, Los Alamitos and Loyola.
10. (7) Tustin (11-3) Tillers have victories over Foothill (twice), Beckman, Cypress, Villa Park and El Toro.
As a bonus, here's the next five:
11. (10) El Toro (12-2): Chargers beat Laguna Hills, Esperanza, Yorba Linda and La Habra; would have been solidly in the top 10 had they beaten Tustin for the Southwest Division title.
12. La Habra (9-4): Highlanders beat La Mirada, Troy and Brea; three losses were to Trinity League opponents, including two close ones to Servite and OLu, and comeback against El Toro fell short.
13. Trabuco Hills (6-4): Mustangs beat Newport Harbor; all four losses were to teams ranked 1-4. Also had a victory over JSerra which had a victory over OLu.
14. Newport Harbor (5-6): Sailors beat Corona del Mar and Los Alamitos; losses were to teams with a combined record of 53-17.
15. Corona del Mar (12-2): Sea Kings beat Huntington Beach, Los Amigos, Laguna Beach and Beckman. Win over Beckman in the Southern Division championship avenged a loss.