Monday, January 16, 2012
I.E.: 5 things from last week
By Dan Arritt
1. Palm Desert hadn’t defeated Palm Springs in nearly three seasons heading into Wednesday’s game. None of the Desert Valley League teams had. But the Aztecs put the 25-game winning streak to rest with a 57-52 victory inside the Palm Spring gym. Robert Romero scored 23 points and Jonathan Serven had 22. Romero made two free throws with four seconds remaining to stretch the lead to five points. The rematch is Jan. 31 at Palm Desert.
2. Alta Loma rallied from a seven-point deficit at the start of the fourth quarter Friday against Los Osos in a Baseline League game, taking a one-point lead on a three-point basket by Isaiah Moreland with 5.8 seconds remaining. Los Osos had a chance to win in regulation, but missed two of three free-throw attempts and the game stretched into overtime. Alta Loma then outscored the Grizzlies, 10-2, to escape with a 72-64 victory.
3. After failing to win a game last season in its first run in the Southwestern League, Murrieta Mesa is off to a 2-0 start after defeating Great Oak and Chaparral last week. Nate Wright, a 6-foot-5 senior power forward for Murrieta Mesa, made eight baskets and scored 17 points in each victory. The Rams (14-5) will get their stiffest test of the season Tuesday, when they travel to Murrieta Valley (16-1) in a meeting of the league’s last unbeaten teams.
4. Cajon grabbed sole possession of first place in the San Andreas League with a 62-57 victory Thursday against visiting Arroyo Valley. Stephen Marshall made seven three-point shots and scored 31 points for the Cowboys. He scored 16 of their 17 points in the third quarter. Cajon is looking to reclaim the league title from San Bernardino. The Cowboys went 10-0 in league play in 2009 and ’10.
5. Dominique Underwood of the Redlands girls’ basketball team set a school record with nine three-point baskets in a 74-36 victory Wednesday against Fontana. Underwood, a 5-6 junior guard, scored a career-best 29 points in the victory.