Sunday, January 29, 2012
South: Boys' basketball Top 10
By Blair Angulo
The south Los Angeles County boys’ basketball top 10 power rankings:
1. Long Beach Poly (18-1) The Jackrabbits increased their lead to two games in the Moore League standings thanks to Roschon Prince's stellar game at Compton on Friday. The junior wing had 35 points and 12 rebounds. This week: at Lakewood, Wed.; vs. Long Beach Wilson, Fri.; vs. Orange Lutheran in Nike Extravaganza at Mater Dei, Sat.
2. Loyola (18-3) An up-and-down week ended in a positive way with a 92-84 win against Orange Lutheran at the Fairfax State Preview Classic. Still in the Mission League race, but need some help. This week: at Notre Dame, Wed.; at Harvard-Westlake, Fri.; vs. Taft in Nike Extravaganza at Mater Dei, Sat.
3. Gardena Serra (21-2) There's great balance throughout coach Dwan Hurt's roster, that much was evident in the Cavaliers' 10-point win against host Fairfax at the State Preview Classic on Saturday. Senior guard Kajon Mack and big Daddy Ugbede complement each other well. This week: vs. Bishop Montgomery, Wed.; vs. Bishop Amat, Fri.
4. La Verne Lutheran (16-5) A 67-62 overtime loss to Westchester on Saturday snapped a nine-game win streak. The Trojans face an interesting group of competitors in the next few days. This week: vs. Ribet Academy, Tues.; at Renaissance Academy, Wed.; at Mater Dei in Nike Extravaganza, Sat.
5. Price (17-5) The Knights have won six straight since losing at the Brandon Jennings Invitational in Milwaukee, riding the leadership of junior guard Chance Murray and bouncy forward Skylar Spencer. The upcoming schedule will put their streak in serious jeopardy, though. This week: at Ribet Academy, Fri.; at Alemany, Sat.
6. St. John Bosco (16-5) Expectations had to be tempered Friday night after Trinity League leader Mater Dei flexed its muscle. The humbling 86-71 home loss proved the Braves aren't quite ready to take the big step. This week: vs. Servite, Wed.; at Mater Dei, Fri.
7. Bishop Montgomery (18-3) A yawn-worthy week for the Knights, who easily disposed of Del Rey League opponents Bishop Amat and La Salle by a combined 88 points. Now they prepare for the highly anticipated rubber match. This week: at Serra, Wed.; vs. Cathedral, Fri.
8. Muir (21-1) The Mustangs will have to be careful not to overlook the next few opponents, but it probably isn't easy to gaze ahead to the Feb. 9 showdown against Pasadena for the Pacific League. This week: at Burroughs, Tues.; vs. Glendale, Fri.
9. Pacific Hills (21-3) The Bruins make their debut in the top 10 following their impressive win against Windward. The second leg of Alpha League play won't be as easy now that they're the targeted team. This week: at Campbell Hall, Fri.
10. Damien (20-2) The Spartans actually led at the half against Etiwanda but ran out of steam. Still, coach Matt Dunn probably won't lose any sleep over-thinking the loss in the Southern California Shootout at Azusa Pacific. What is important is that they got postseason preparation. This week: at South Hills, Wed.; at Chino Hills, Fri.