Sunday, February 5, 2012
I.E.: Boys' basketball Top 10
By Dan Arritt
Most of the top teams in the I.E. held their ground last week, with several clinching outright league titles, or at least a share, heading into the final week of the regular season.
1. (1) Etiwanda, 24-1: Sam Flemming scored with 15 seconds remaining to lift the Eagles to a 70-69 victory Tuesday at Upland, keeping them perfect in Baseline League play. Etiwanda came back to win its 21ststraight game Friday night and clinch the outright league title at Los Osos. Next: Tuesday @ Alta Loma.
2. (2) Eisenhower, 16-7: The Eagles clinched their third consecutive outright Citrus Belt League title with victories last week against visiting A.B. Miller (79-49) and at Redlands East Valley (61-34). Eisenhower wasn’t able to keep up with Fairfax on Saturday afternoon at the Nike Extravaganza at Mater Dei and lost, 73-67. Next: Wednesday @ Redlands.
3. (4) Elsinore, 22-3: The Tigers are well on their way to a fourth straight Sunbelt League title after defeating Temescal Canyon (64-57) and Perris (57-55) last week. Elsinore has won 29 consecutive league games. Next: Wednesday @ Heritage.
4. (5) Murrieta Valley, 21-2: The Nighthawks maintained their one-game lead on Vista Murrieta in the Southwestern League with wins last week at Great Oak (46-35) and Murrieta Mesa (60-39). Reid Shackelford sank five of seven three-pointers against Murrieta Mesa. Next: Tuesday vs. Vista Murrieta.
5. (3) J.W. North, 19-5: Last week began with another hiccup in Big VIII League play, an 11-point loss at Riverside Poly, but the Huskies came back with wins against visiting Roosevelt (64-49) and at Corona Santiago (53-48) to clinch at least a share of the league title with two games remaining. Next: Monday @ Riverside King.
6. (6) Summit, 19-6: The SkyHawks have won 37 straight Sunkist League games after wins this week at Bloomington (79-54) and against visiting Norte Vista (59-16), which also helped them clinch at least a share of the league title. Next: Tuesday @ Kaiser.
7. (7) Cajon, 18-6: The Cowboys reclaimed the San Andreas League title with victories last week against visiting Rialto (54-30) and at Colton (58-35). Next: Tuesday @ Arroyo Valley.
8. (8) Colony, 18-8: The Titans went 3-0 in Mt. Baldy League play last week to clinch at least a share of the championship. They scored 96 points through three quarters of a 105-53 win against Garey.Next: Thursday vs. Montclair.
9. (9) Silverado, 19-2: Already locked in as the outright Desert Sky League champion, the Hawks had just one game last week, a 74-37 victory against visiting Granite Hills. Next: Tuesday @ Ridgecrest Burroughs.
10. (NR): Palm Springs, 16-6: The Indians appear to be hitting their stride at the right time, knocking off Palm Desert on Tuesday to take over sole possession of first place in the Desert Valley League with two games remaining. Next: Tuesday vs. Xavier Prep.
Dropped out: Rancho Verde (18-6).
Just missed: Ayala (17-7); Beaumont (18-2); Canyon Springs (14-8); Chino Hills (15-9); Citrus Hill (14-1); Citrus Valley (17-4); Corona (16-9); Corona Santiago (17-7); Don Lugo (18-6); Montclair (19-3); Palm Desert (17-5); Perris (15-8); Riverside King (16-8); Riverside Poly (16-8); Upland (16-9), Vista del Lago (14-8); Vista Murrieta (14-9).