Sunday, February 5, 2012
North: Boys' basketball Top 10
By Tim Haddock
El Camino Real is on a roll and beat Renaissance Academy, one of the top programs in Southern California, in the Alemany To The Rack Showcase on Saturday. The Conquistadores moved up a couple of spots, from No. 8 to No. 5, in the L.A. North top 10 rankings.
Crespi is struggling of late and has lost two straight games. The Celts are barely clinging to the No. 10 spot in the L.A. North poll.
Renaissance Academy had two tough games last week, against La Verne Lutheran and El Camino Real, and lost both games, dropping the Wildcats out of the top 10.
Oxnard has won 11 games in a row and can wrap up an undefeated Pacific View League season this week. The Yellowjackets enter the top 10 for the first time this season at No. 7.
Here is a look at the L.A. North top 10:
(1) Woodland Hills Taft (22-3) – The Toreadors have a 12-game winning streak including 73-57 over Loyola, the No. 3 team in the ESPN Los Angeles high school basketball rankings, in the Nike Extravaganza on Saturday. Taft is no slouch at No. 5 in the ESPN LA poll. Perhaps a little boost in the rankings is in order.
(2) Alemany (22-3) – The Warriors have an eight-game winning streak and knocked off Price, the No. 11 team in the ESPN Los Angeles rankings, for the second time this season. Alemany had the benefit of home-court advantage in an 82-76 win in the To The Rack Showcase on Saturday night. The Warriors beat Price, 91-69, in the Santa Monica tournament on Dec. 9, the third game of the season for Alemany.
(3) Calabasas (21-3) – The Coyotes have a six-game winning streak, all against Marmonte League opponents, and are coming off a 48-45 win over Thousand Oaks on Friday night. Calabasas has two more Marmonte League games before the start of playoffs, Monday night against Newbury Park and Thursday against Westlake.
(4) Royal (18-6) – The Highlanders are keeping pace with Calabasas in the Marmonte League standings, but still trail by a game with two games left to play. Royal has won three games in a row, but had a close call against Thousand Oaks last week, 53-51.
(8) El Camino Real (16-7) – The Conquistadores put in a little extra work this weekend with an impressive 57-54 win over Renaissance Academy in the Alemany basketball showcase. El Camino Real has won three games in a row and seven of its past eight.
(6) Providence (21-4) – The Pioneers have won five games in a row and are 8-0 in the Liberty League standings. Patrick Gonzalez scored 29 points, had 10 steals and six assists in a 92-33 win over Glendale Adventist.
(NR) Oxnard (23-2) – It’s time to take notice of Oxnard. The Yellowjackets have won 11 games in a row and are 9-0 in the Pacific View League. Oxnard is averaging nearly 70 points per game. The Yellowjackets play Pacifica in the Pacific View League finale on Wednesday.
(7) Westlake (19-8) – The Warriors had their three-game winning streak snapped by Simi Valley, 60-57, on Friday night. Westlake has two tough Marmonte League games this week: on the road against Royal on Tuesday and at home against Calabasas on Thursday.
(9) Oak Park (19-7) – The Eagles stumbled against St. Bonaventure, losing 60-57, last week. But Oak Park bounced back with a 67-30 win over Fillmore in a Tri-Valley League game. The Eagles have won 11 of their past 12 games.
(5) Crespi (19-6) – The Celts have lost five of their last six games. Their latest downfall came against Chaminade, 66-57, in a Mission League game on Friday night. Crespi has dropped to fourth place in the Mission League standings and will wrap up its regular-season schedule against Harvard-Westlake tonight.
The next 10: Agoura, Canyon, Crescenta Valley, Grant, Harvard-Westlake, Oaks Christian, Renaissance Academy , Thousand Oaks, Village Christian, West Ranch.