Sunday, February 26, 2012
L.A. North: The top 10
By Tim Haddock
Crespi, Village Christian and Oaks Christian lost in the CIF basketball playoffs.
Thousand Oaks continues its unexpected and impressive run in the Division 2AA playoffs eliminating top-seeded Ocean View and eighth-seeded Riverside Poly last week.
Grant is in the championship game of the City Section Division III playoffs against Bell.
Renaissance Academy is rolling through the Division 6 playoffs, averaging 97.6 points per game, and is in the championship game against Cal Lutheran.
As a result, Thousand Oaks, Grant and Renaissance Academy move in to the top 10. Crespi, Village Christian and Oaks Christian drop out.
Here is a look at the L.A. North top 10 in championship week:
(1) Woodland Hills Taft (27-3) – The reigning City Section Division 1 champs nearly blew a 21-point lead over Crenshaw in the semifinals on Saturday night. Taft held on for a 64-63 win in the semifinals to advance to its fifth title game in a row. Top-seeded Taft plays seventh-seeded Dorsey at Cal State Dominguez Hills on Saturday at 8.
(2) Alemany (27-4) – The Warriors beat Bishop Amat and Santa Margarita to advance to the championship game of the Southern Section Division 3A playoffs. Alemany is averaging 80.7 points per game in the playoffs. Marqueze Coleman recorded a double-double with 28 points and 12 rebounds against Santa Margarita in the semifinals.
(3) Calabasas (26-3) – The Coyotes have won 11 games in a row and are in the championship game of the Southern Section Division 3AA playoffs. Calabasas beat Torrance, 67-46, in the semifinals. They were up 16 points at halftime. Jeremy Lieberman led three players from Calabasas in double figures with 14 points.
(4) Royal (23-6) – The Highlanders have won eight games in a row and are in the semifinals of the Division 2AA playoffs against Sunny Hills. They beat Tesoro, 54-49, in the quarterfinals. J.R. Powell scored 18 points and Scott Woods had 10 points and seven blocks against Tesoro.
(5) El Camino Real (21-7) – The Conquistadores advanced to the championship game of the City Section Division II playoffs after a 60-37 win over Narbonne in the semifinals. Michael Thomas scored 20 point and had 10 rebounds for El Camino Real against Narbonne.
(6) Providence (26-4) – Marcus LoVett Jr. scored 46 points against Kilpatrick in the semifinals of the Division 5A playoffs. Providence has won 10 games in a row and will play Holy Martyrs Armenian in the championship game.
(7) Oak Park (24-7) – The Eagles knocked out second-seeded St. John Bosco, 67-66, in the semifinals of the Division 3A playoffs. Third-seeded Oak Park meets top-seeded Alemany in the championship game.
(NR) Thousand Oaks (21-9) – The 15th-seeded Lancers are in the semifinals of the Division 2AA playoffs. They eliminated the No. 1 seed, Ocean View, and the No. 8 seed, Riverside Poly. Unseeded Inglewood awaits Thousand Oaks in the semifinals. The Sentinels knocked out fourth-seeded Canyon of Anaheim and 12th-seeded Cajon.
(NR) Grant (27-5) – It’s been 24 years since the Lancers have played for a City Section championship. Grant is in the Division III title game against Bell. The last time the Lancers were in the City Section championship, they lost to Jordan in the Division 3A playoffs. With Gor Plavchyan, who scored 21 points against Banning in the semifinals, the outcome of this one might be much different.
(NR) Renaissance Academy (23-6) – Since losing three games in a row in the first week of February, the Wildcats have won four in a row, including three in the Division 6 playoffs. They are in the championship game against California Lutheran.