Monday, March 26, 2012
O.C.: Boys' basketball top 10 (final)
Mater Dei boys stepped onto the court at Power Balance Pavilion in Sacramento moments after the girls' team won a third state championship and made it a double for the Monarchs. They successfully repeated as state champion despite playing the season with a target on their back. The title was Mater Dei's ninth, giving it one more than Los Angeles Crenshaw.
1. Mater Dei (34-2): Monarchs were No. 1 in the state from wire-to-wire, culminating in a 66-48 victory over Sacramento Sheldon in the Division I State Finals behind Katin Reinhardt, who set a finals record with six three-pointers helping account for his 30 points—with a broken thumb. Sophomore Stanley Johnson added 21. Monarchs' only losses came in overtime to out-of-state national powers, Arlington (TX) Grace Prep, 86-80, and Gladstone (NJ) Gill St. Bernard, 76-73. Posted victories over Mission Viejo (twice), Capistrano Valley, Los Alamitos, Palm Desert, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, Middle Village (NY) Christ the King, Foothill ,Brooklyn (NY) Lincoln, Orange Lutheran (twice), St. John Bosco (twice), JSerra (twice), Loyola (twice), Long Beach Poly, Crescenta Valley, Fresno Bullard, Sacramento Sheldon.
2. Orange Lutheran (22-11): One of the state's most dynamic teams with one of the state's most dynamic players, Arizona-bound Gabe York. Lost in the second round of SoCal Regionals to Long Beach Poly. Posted victories over Crenshaw, Ontario Colony, Downey, Arroyo Grande, Foothill, JSerra (twice), Corona, Capistrano Valley, Mission Viejo and Dorsey.
3. Mission Viejo (28-5): After beating Torrey Pines in the first round, Michael Cramer and Evan Zeller gave Mater Dei a battle before losing in the second round of the SoCal Regionals. Posted victories over Los Alamitos, JSerra (twice), Irvine Woodbridge, La Habra, Inglewood, Oaks Christian, Laguna Beach, Trabuco Hills, Tesoro (twice), El Toro (twice), Capistrano Valley, Aliso Niguel, Valencia West Ranch, Crescenta Valley and Torrey Pines.
4. Capistrano Valley (25-6): Cougars and Aleks Lipovic had nice season, and challenged second-seeded Long Beach Poly in the first round of the SoCal Regionals before falling, 65-59, in overtime. Posted victories over JSerra, Woodbridge, Los Alamitos (twice), Palm Desert, Villa Park, Huntington Beach, Trabuco Hills, Anaheim Canyon, El Toro (twice), Aliso Niguel, Mission Viejo, Tesoro (twice) and Vista Murrieta.
5. Ocean View (24-4): In their first season without late coach Jim Harris, the Sea Hawks had a great regular season and a bitter playoffs—a second-round loss in the section playoffs. Posted victories over Aliso Niguel, Mission Viejo.
6. JSerra (17-11): Posted victories this season over Tustin, Sunny Hills, Orange Lutheran, Santa Margarita, Ontario Colony and Laguna Beach.
7. Tustin (22-7): Posted victories over Foothill, Cypress (twice), Western (twice).
8. El Toro (22-9): Posted victories over Edison, Esperanza, Tesoro, Trabuco Hills and Huntington Beach.
9. Foothill (22-5): Posted victories over Ocean View, Cypress, La Habra, Trabuco Hills and Anaheim Canyon (twice).
10. Sunny Hills (25-7): Lancers opened the season in the ESPNLA top 10, and finish there, too; were beaten by San Diego Lincoln in the first round of the SoCal Regionals in Division II. Posted victories over Laguna Beach, La Habra (twice), Fontana Summit and Riverside North.