Monday, April 23, 2012
O.C.: Five things from the weekend
1. He may attend a small school, but there's nothing small-time about Billy Gaudreau. The St. Margaret's Episcopal senior had a heck of a day in the Orange County Championships by winning the distance double. Gaudreau won the 1,600 meters, surging past Woodbridge's Dragan Simic on the last of four laps to win in 4 minutes 11.12 seconds, a little more than four seconds ahead of Simic. The time is the nation's sixth fastest -- and third-fastest in the state. Gaudreau completed the double by winning the 3,200 in 9:17.65, after passing Esperanza's Amar Dholakia (9:19.47) on the seventh of eight laps.
2. Like Gaudreau, Mater Dei's Austin Hazel won twice, winning the 200 (wind-aided 21.66) and long jump (21-11 3/4). Teammate Corey Hammond won the 300 hurdles (38.41) and Michael Rovzar won the pole vault (14-9). Other winners were Simic in the 800 (1:55.97), San Clemente's Herbert Gamboa in the 100 (wind-aided 10.57), Servite's Julian Lujan in the 400 (49.70) and Connor Einck in the shot put (55-5), Huntington Beach's Ramon Vargas in the 110 hurdles (14.77), Orange Lutheran's Myles Hawkins in the triple jump (45-3 1/2), and Mission Viejo's Sage Stone in the high jump (6-4). Mater Dei (73 points) won the boys' team title, snapping a four-year streak by Dana Hills; host Mission Viejo (59) took second and Orange Lutheran (53) was third.
3. Gaudreau's performance had nothing on Huntington Beach Marina's Laura Hollander. She won the 1,600 with the nation's second-fastest time, 4:48.86, and doubled with the 3,200 (10:23.15).
4. Also winning twice were Aliso Niguel's Danielle Darden, who won the 100 (wind-aided 12.06) and 200 (25.03), and Dana Hills' Brenna Barker in the triple jump (38-10 1/2) and high jump (5-4 1/2). Other winners were Irvine's Shema Terry in the 400 (57.07), Mater Dei's Ashlyn Rambo in the 800 (2:14.28) and Kara Caskey in the discus (140-0), San Clemente's Brittany Thornton in the 100 hurdles (15.43), Santa Margarita's Kaitlyn Merritt in the pole vault (12-9) and Carolyn Hilley in the 300 hurdles (44.65). Mater Dei won the team title with 83 points, followed by Dana Hills (78) and Santa Margarita (67).
5. Fountain Valley won the Beach Pit Classic on Saturday with a 7-4 victory over Irvine Beckman, in part because Jordan Lucio was in the lineup. It wasn't supposed to be that way. Lucio was out of the lineup because of a slump, but his replacement overslept, and Lucio responded with three hits and two runs as the Barons won at home.