Monday, September 6, 2010
LA North: Five things from the weekend
By Tim Haddock
1. Alemany quarterback Vernon Adams scored a touchdown on a 1-yard keeper and threw for another in his team’s 20-17 win over Oaks Christian. He guided Alemany to the Oaks Christian 1-yard line to set up a game-winning field goal. But his biggest play of the game came as holder. Adams nearly fumbled the snap on Martin Meza’s game-winning 18-yard field goal with 14 seconds left in the game. After having the football slip through his hands, Adams calmly replaced the ball on the tee and Meza knocked through the chip shot.
2. Trevor Gretzky’s debut at quarterback for Oaks Christian had some high points and low points. He completed his first five passes and did not have an incompletion in the first half. He finished the game 16-for-22 for 194 yards. He completed passes of 35 and 42 yards showing he has the arm strength to extend the field. But his biggest play of the game came in the first quarter when he ran the ball in for an 18-yard touchdown to tie the game, 7-7. Gretzky was the leading rusher for Oaks Christian, gaining 39 yards on nine carries. He was also sacked three times.
3. Three Foothill League teams had successful opening nights. Golden Valley impressively won its first game of the season, 31-19, over Simi Valley. The Grizzlies went 0-10 last year and were shut out six times. Saugus beat Burroughs, 26-20, with some fourth-quarter heroics from quarterback Jared Carbajal. He threw the game-winning touchdown – a 3-yarder to Denley Rodriguez– with three minutes left in the game. Carbajal completed only five passes in the game for 36 yards, but he rushed for 132 yards on 18 carries. Hart won its season opener, 21-7, over El Camino Real. Junior quarterback Cory Mayes was 14-of-25 for 213 yards and three touchdowns. Hart linebacker Justyn Eddins had two sacks. Hart avenged a 33-28 loss to El Camino Real in the first game of the 2009 season.
4. The restructured Serra League went 3-2 in the first week of the high school football season. Alemany, Loyola and Bishop Amat were winners. Crespi and Notre Dame Sherman Oaks lost. Alemany and Loyola’s wins were close. Alemany beat Oaks Christian, 20-17, and Loyola beat Mira Costa, 10-7. Crespi lost to Dominguez, 14-11, and Notre Dame lost to Gardena Serra, 34-7.
5. The newly expanded Marmonte League teams went 2-3 on opening night. Five of the 10 teams in the Marmonte League were in action. Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park won their games. Thousand Oaks beat Hueneme, 51-14, and Newbury Park beat Buena, 21-14. Oaks Christian, Moorpark and Simi Valley lost their season openers.